Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2004 6:01:38 AM EDT
Really like those neat orange looking scopes on the M-4's (haven't shopped for aiming devices yet, so don't fault me for not properly identifying it).

Does anyone know what these were, exactly?

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:04:47 AM EDT
[#1]
The optic is orange? Or is there an orange/red tube that runs across the top? ACOG? -Justin
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:29:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Aimpoint.On the M4s and the 1 M14.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:15:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, from the muzzle end the Aimpoint's frot lens has a red tint to it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:45:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Older model Aimpoints.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:53:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Do the new model aimpoints not have the red-orange glow to them?

Mine is 2yrs old, without the killflash, it's a bright red-orange from the front.

Even when looking through it, if you don't get really centered, you get some red glare.

Anybody else notice this, this is the only thing I don't like about the aimpoint!

teamroper2004
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:58:53 AM EDT
[#6]
My new M2 does.  I think unless you have the open lens design where the dot is projected onto the lens like C-More, Docter, OKO, etc., a tubed dot scope is going to have that tint, well that's why there's the ARD...
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 10:02:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Do the new model aimpoints not have the red-orange glow to them?

Mine is 2yrs old, without the killflash, it's a bright red-orange from the front.

Even when looking through it, if you don't get really centered, you get some red glare.

Anybody else notice this, this is the only thing I don't like about the aimpoint!

teamroper2004

Just mount a killflash and the problem is solved.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I really don't like the view through my aimpoint with the killflash and I still get some glare looking through it, but I don't like the bright red glare from the business-end either. So I've kept the killflash on the aimpoint anyway.

I have a C-More Tactical that I like really well, it's fast & has a nice sight picture. I know a lot of guys on here think they're trash, but I've never had a problem with mine. But, from the business-end of the C-More you can see the bright red projection dot, but only a night.

I'm thinking about trying a EO-Tech!

teamroper2004
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 10:30:44 AM EDT
[#9]
teamroper2004

Go with an EoTech.  They're great: faster than anything else, tough, and nothing is able to obstruct the projector like with Doctor/C-more, etc.  Go with the AA model-it's bigger but batteries last longer and are much cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:01:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Aimpoints were used in the movie, most likely the earlier XD model.

In the actual event, they were more likely the original Aimpoint 3000 series.

Buy one of the current M2s or ML2s and you'll be happier in the long run.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:02:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
teamroper2004

Go with an EoTech.  They're great: faster than anything else, tough, and nothing is able to obstruct the projector like with Doctor/C-more, etc.  Go with the AA model-it's bigger but batteries last longer and are much cheaper.

Thanks Carbine!
          I'm waiting for a 551.A65 RevF to become avaiable, I chose the "N" battery for it's compact size. I'll just stock up on some extra batteries. I had a older Bushnell Holosight that I like real well, but sold it with the gun it was on. I'll probably keep all my sights and just build another AR or two, or 3, or 4, gotta go before my wife sees this!

teamroper2004
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:08:32 AM EDT
[#12]
What kind of mount was used on the Aimpoint for the M14 in Black Hawk Down?
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:52:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I  just  ordered  a kill flash, after doing much research using googles search engin,  for those who use kill flash. Said they hardly ever noticed the  honeycomb/kill flash on their aimpoints after awhile.

Also,  it only reduces  view 8 to 12%, they said it didnt effect aimpoint in low light situations.

TG
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:30:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Say no to muzzle side signature!  Buy an EOTech...
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:37:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Aimpoints were used in the movie, most likely the earlier XD model.

In the actual event, they were more likely the original Aimpoint 3000 series.

Buy one of the current M2s or ML2s and you'll be happier in the long run.

EOtech don't have that red tint on the lens and it doesn't reflect.  hmmmmm.

Love you too Lumpy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:24:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:41:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Hey, the red tint scares unwashed heathens

Yeah, but not everybody has a face like yours...
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 11:05:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top