Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/7/2004 1:36:35 PM EDT
I know I should have boughten Larue.  

Aside from that, I have an ARMS #19 that requires almost no tension to close the levers of.

On one of my DPMS uppers it is tight but on my LMT's and Colts, it is pretty weak.

Does that effect anything?

Will the sight wobble on a microscopic scale?

Is there a way to tighten them up?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#1]
By the way I forgot to mention it is used, this is not a new mount.  (obviously if it were new it would be tight on Colt and LMT rails but it is not).  The DPMS must be out of spec, or it wouldn't be tight when the other two are loose.

Anyone ever wear out a set of ARMS throwlevers?

Do they wear out? (Is there a point at which they need to be replaced?)
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep that DPMS stuff has been reported by several folks as being out of spec. ARMS do replace things at no charge except postage. There were some counterfeit ARMS 19's around with the ARMS name on them, but ARMS can figure that out for you.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#3]
GreenO
I have had issues also with the 19S or #19ACOG Loosening some what with extensive use. Taking it on and Off especially when using your own site on a military Rifle, It tends to get loose. On the good side I have not noticed a shift in Zero, as mainly any movement is front to back and the zero doesnt change enough to notice. BUT Knowing that puts doubt in my mind and I dont shoot as Confident.
I have switched to the ARMS #10 It is a Duel Thumb Screw mount with spring tension on the locking Bar so It goes on and off very easily. In addition It has a deep groove the TA01 or similar site sits actually down in similar to if you mount one in a carry handle. This protects the site from latteral breakage of the mounting screws, if the rifle or site hits the ground or other object on the site. I saw one guy break off Both Screws on an NSN when diving from cover a couple years ago on a traning mission at the WET site In Western KY. Anyway this mount in MY opinion is the strongest and best one made for the ACOGs , Maybe not as fast, but FAST ENOUGH!!!!
chuck
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:35:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't want to get Jack's ire up but I would like to share my experience.  I have three ARMS throw levers (19S,32DR and the harris bipod one)  They all fit the same BM rail with different tension.  I can hardly get the 32DR on and off while the 19S is very, very weak.  The difference is NOT in the rail as I have tested them all on the same rail.  The difference is absolutely from one ARMS throw lever to the next.

I just got the 19s last week and have not shot with it yet so I can not say whether it moves around or  not.  I hope it does not.  I would love to keep it because it is alot lighter than my TA51.

Sorry Jack just speaking the truth.

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:18:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I don't want to get Jack's ire up but I would like to share my experience.  I have three ARMS throw levers (19S,32DR and the harris bipod one)  They all fit the same BM rail with different tension.  I can hardly get the 32DR on and off while the 19S is very, very weak.  The difference is NOT in the rail as I have tested them all on the same rail.  The difference is absolutely from one ARMS throw lever to the next.

I just got the 19s last week and have not shot with it yet so I can not say whether it moves around or  not.  I hope it does not.  I would love to keep it because it is alot lighter than my TA51.

Sorry Jack just speaking the truth.

Ditto!

I've had the same problems with various ARMS throw-lever mounts.

ARMS will loosen or tighten them for free!

teamroper2004
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I know the tension feels dif from one to another, and a lot of that is due to one having more friction than the other, not tention.  Mounts (do not) move back and forth during shooting, mounts only move forward if not placed forward when attached, and they stay there, I have used them on everything over the years. Spring tention is not affected by the friction you feel with the finger. I like them because they repeat zero like nothing else I have ever tried and I have tried them all.[:)>
Jack
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I know the tension feels dif from one to another, and a lot of that is due to one having more friction than the other, not tention.  Mounts (do not) move back and forth during shooting, mounts only move forward if not placed forward when attached, and they stay there, I have used them on everything over the years. Spring tention is not affected by the friction you feel with the finger. I like them because they repeat zero like nothing else I have ever tried and I have tried them all.[:)>
Jack

Whatever friction vs tension  I can slide my TA31/19s forward and backward.  I cannot budge my docter/32dr.  

Edit to say my 19s may end up working fine and I hope it does.  I like ARMS stuff and own hundereds of dollars wotrth (in spite of Jack)
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Is there a way I can tighten it myself?  I've got about three weeks so it would be nice.

Or are you talking about replaceing parts?

I just wanted to get the big thumb nuts out of my way when changeing mags and hitting the bolt release and realized I could have done that by turning the ACOG mount around.  

But return to zero sounds good too (that way I can take it off in Iraq if I get any crap and put it back on when I'm out of the spotlight), It's just so loose I find myself like Eagle Cp haveing almost no confidence in it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:52:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a NIB #19 that about made me insane. I just couldn't get my TA-11 to zero. I sent the scope back to Trijicon; who did extensive tests and returned it as completely sound and ready.

The fix: LaRue.

Life is good.

And, there was NO detectable movement with the #19.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Throw-lever mounts:

#15 (x2);
#22M68 (x2);
#17 (for Surefire M900).

Rails:

Bushmaster A3 upper;
KAC RAS;
#45 SIR;
#51 SIR;
GG&G UFIR;
Ultimak Mini-14 mount.

The throw-lever tension on all the mounts are uniformily TIGHT (almost a bitch!) on all my rails, despite the different manufacturers, with absolutely NO movement whatsoever.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top