Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/7/2004 8:06:46 AM EDT
so what's up with the overpriced mounting options to get your new $300 scope to co-locate with your iron sights?  Am I missing something, or could I just get a .5" riser block($14) from Bushmaster and a shim pack($9) for the ring and be all set?  I know, i've spent this much, why not just throw another hundy in for the QRP?  well, cause i'd rather buy ammo.  Is all the mounting issues here just based on the "coolness factor" of having one of the military mounts?  There has to be a better mounting solution.  and yes, i've looked at all available models.  also, why do they all have to have shim packs for the mounts?  why won't they just make them the correct height?  thanks for any response.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Howdy,  I purchased my Aimpoint Comp at a local  gun shop  this past monday.
The only  mount they had on  hand was a B-square,  for $54 buxs.
It  was almost full  length  of my flat top rail,  so I  shorten it,removed 2/3.
It  co witness  beautifully,also it  is a solid mount,also have enough B-square left to  mount another Aimpoint.

TG
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:00:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe Deuce17 can buy your other half, problem solved!
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 11:08:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 11:17:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:03:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Dont  knock  it"....untill you tried it.

No  one would have never known,unless I  told them.

Important thing is....It Works.

TG

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, you 've already committed a sacrilage by getting the Comp C instead of the M2, or ML2, so  go ahead and commit another one by not spending $120 on the mount lol.  JUST KIDDING...I committed the same sin, but I *did* pony up the $$ for the ARMS, simply because it's rock solid, and I have a scope that goes on that rifle...so nothing could be simpler than throwing a couple of levers and swapping one for the other.  IF you DO get  any ARMS product, you won't be sorry.  They are expensive, but they're all the quality you could hope for.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Im  looking to  up grade mount,  just had to  make  do  with what was on  hand.
Im also  considering  purchasing a Ras,  might not need  any  other mount?

TG
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
so what's up with the overpriced mounting options to get your new $300 scope to co-locate with your iron sights?  Am I missing something, or could I just get a .5" riser block($14) from Bushmaster and a shim pack($9) for the ring and be all set?  I know, i've spent this much, why not just throw another hundy in for the QRP?  well, cause i'd rather buy ammo.  Is all the mounting issues here just based on the "coolness factor" of having one of the military mounts?  There has to be a better mounting solution.  and yes, i've looked at all available models.  also, why do they all have to have shim packs for the mounts?  why won't they just make them the correct height?  thanks for any response.

You can find a QRP in the EE for 50 bucks I find them all the time. The reason for the spacers is if you mount to a A3 rail you want the front site located at the bottom of the site window,  if you use a arms 38 or other riser you can remove the spacer and keep the same site height/same picture. You can use cheap mounts but they do not provide you with a clear FOV as the FST is located dead center instead of at the bottom of your opening. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:37:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Boom, thanks for the info.  the clear fov is a novel idea(necessity) in some situations.  makes a lot of sense.  i read another one of your posts requarding mounting the aimpoint as a lefty would to clear up your fov on the right side.  excellent idea.  and Fenian, you've got me so guilt striken, i'll be returning the CompC and ordring a ML2 this week.  so, in conclusion, i'll be sending a bunch of stuff back that i've purchased to try and skimp on price when in reality it costs the same to do things right the first time.  now i've spent money on shipping and handeling that i could have used on ammo.  (big lesson learned.)  ML2 and a QRP.  get it right the first time.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top