Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/7/2004 7:35:58 AM EDT
Hi all!

I've been looking at the YHM gas block + flip-up front-sight combo (YHM-9395) and need some info concerning mounting. The product description on their website says the following:

"The gas block can be mounted either by the use of set screws or it can be mounted by the conventional method of drilling and pinning it in place."

Are there any downsides to using either of these mounting options? Are the set screws enough to keep the gas block in place or is pinning a more secure way? Please share your experiences, good and bad.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:59:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm working up a review on the two piece GB and the flip-up that attaches to that GB.  Now this is not a one piece like you are talking about, BUT this set up uses the same lockup and technology.  So far I'm GTG as far as stability of the GB and FS.

It should go without saying that a one piece and pinning will be inherently stronger though.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:27:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the one piece unit, it apears very solid, and I just cranked it down.  I suppose a little loc-tite wouldn't hurt, but i'm not really worried it's gonna come loose.  The Armalite gas block that I've got has the two screws at the bottom, and it sorta works like a clamp.  Never had any trouble with that one, either.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I didn't dimple the barrel under the set screws on mine but it is LocTited. The dimples are cheap insurance, though I doubt it'll ever move. Mine has probably 1K rounds since it was installed with "0" problems.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I did the screw dimple barrel thing with the red Loctite.  It's not going anywhere.

I put dimples in the barrel over a year ago on my SOG fake bird cage suppressor.  Used red Loctite.  The SOG comp has six set screws.  Never has budged.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:16:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the replies! One more question: if I decide to use taper pins, is it readily possible, or do I need to drill the gas block or something?

I already ordered one, I'm sure I'll be satisfied with it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:55:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:59:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top