Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2004 12:45:38 PM EDT
You guys that have them, how do you like them? I really want a TA-31 but I don't want to wait 6 months for a decent price. Does the FOV bother you?

TIA
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been shooting a TA39-2 on a CQB upper, the FOV is good and the optic is clear.  seems like the compact size make the BAC stand out better then my TA31.  my experience is limited, but from the range time I had with the gun, it is a good choice for a TA31 substitute.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:08:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You guys that have them, how do you like them?

I like it alot!  Its almost perfect (to be perfect it would need to work better with 120 lumen lights & have a slightly longer eye relief).

Does the FOV bother you?

I never had a problem with it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess I am in the VAST majority but I just don't like the eye relief on the ACOG's.  I hate having to have my face that close to the scope to get a good sight picture.  The only ACOG I could even think of using is the TA11 because the eye relief is so much more than the others.  Maybe I'm missing something

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Guys thx for the answers, I have a few more ? if you would?

Forest have you been able to use it as a CQB sight? Chen it sounds like you are using it in that manner, have you been able to use it in doors yet? How are targets inside of 15 ft? are they clear or fuzzy?

Are you guys running the trianlge or dot? and which color.

Thx for the help.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:53:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I love my ta50r2. Got it mounted on a detachable carry handle. I've used it from 3(cqb stuff)  yards to 220 yards( firing prone just for fun). It's a great scope.

-SC
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:07:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Wish I never sold my TA50R4.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:25:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:38:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Sounds like you've never looked thru a Compact ACOG. The low magnification results in better eye-relief than the TA11

In the 1.5x or 2x versions it does; but the 3x has the same eye relief as the TA31.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:44:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Guys thx for the answers, I have a few more ? if you would?

Forest have you been able to use it as a CQB sight?

Boom,
I ran the Compact ACOG on my C7/M4 upper at FIRE's Carbine 1 class last year.  I even took it out for some of Giles Stock's low light class.  Both are CQB focused.

It worked fine, not quite as fast as my EO Tech - but on the simulator it gave me a BIG advantage when checking out areas, and checking to see what people held in their hands (to determine shoot/no shoot).

The only issues I had with it at CQB was when we were using lights and were up close.  I could get enough backsplash to 'wash out' the reticule.  I did some tests later on the combination of environmental variables it took to do that and posted them on this board (check them out when SEARCH comes back).

Amber Triangle -> TA50-2
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:27:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Forest thx that was the data that I needed, I am going to go ahead and order one.  I really want to be able to ID my targets pass 200yds. It's hard with my TA44 models, I want that extra edge.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:11:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
...  I really want to be able to ID my targets pass 200yds. It's hard with my TA44 models, I want that extra edge.

Note I was IDing potential targets hiding in the bushes at 100+ yards.  W/O the optic I never would have seen them.  That was about the max distance of the simulator (we had to cross 100 yards or so of 'urban' landscape).

I can't comment on target ID of 200y - as I haven't tried it at that distance, but you might want to IM Fight4YourRights on it.  He ran his TA50-2 equipped 20"er and was IDing and wacking standard military silloughets at a measured 500y at the competitions we used to attend.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Chen it sounds like you are using it in that manner, have you been able to use it in doors yet? How are targets inside of 15 ft? are they clear or fuzzy?

Thx for the help.

I have shot the compact mainly indoors and in CQB enviroment.  The compact I have it sht etriangle version with special rings.  The upper has a high weaver ring that set it in the perfect location and cheek weld.

with my eye sight, the triangle is a blur on the move and quick on target. but once I settle in for a long rnage shot, the triangle is sharp and clear.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:05:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Wish I never sold my TA50R4.

Is that mine now?  I bought one on the EE from someone, don't remember who, but I love it.  I'm going to bring it up to North PRK next time I see Troy.   He hates crosshair acogs, but I'll try my best to bring him over to the dark side.    

PS - By the way, its all FRO's fault.   I wasn't a fan of the compact until I saw his R-4 reticle photos on the famous thread.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Guys thx for the awesome data.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top