User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/5/2004 11:07:39 AM EDT
I have a bushy varminter and have the following I would like to be put on:

Leupold 4.5-14.5x40mm tactical
YHM flip front sight
Arms 38 std.

what rings should I go with that will not be to high?

I do have a set of arms 22H also in the safe. should I use these and just go with an arms #40?
thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:15:21 AM EDT
[#1]
No opinions or help out there? Come on you'll.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:09:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Using the supplied risers-and Warne medium height rings---I mounted a Burris 4.5x14x42AO and the height seems just about perfect on my Varminter.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:41:42 AM EDT
[#3]
You'll need to clear the rear sight on the #38...I have #22 high rings on my setup like that, but you *might* be able to get away with mediums.  Depends on the eye piece...some are bigger than others, even at the same objective.  I don't have any Leupold scopes, so I can't really say.  

With the standard length #38, the rear eye will be right over the BUIS...so unless you get the EX or even longer one to get the scope more forward, it will definitely be something you'll have to contend with.  

Here's a pic of the setup I'm talking about...that's a Simmons Aetec...it doesn't have a huge eye, and you can see how tight it is...not a lot of room there.  

You could skip the #38, just get a 40L which is a lot lower, and you'd probably be okay with medium rings.  It would be a couple of $$ cheaper too...there's about a $40 price difference between the 40L and the #38 if you get 'em new.  

OOOPS...just read the LAST line in your post again...

The 40 or 40A will cause you the same problem of having to clear it with the eye of the scope...the height relationship stays pretty much the same whether the 40 is built into the swan sleeve, or just sitting on the rail.  

BTW, if you want to sell that set of high rings, let me know...I could use another set.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got a Leupold 4.5-14x40 Mk4 in ARMS med #22's on my Mod 0 SPR.  When placed far enough forward to clear the #40, it is a bit too far to be comfortable when cranked to 14 power.  The butler creek flips complicate things a bit too as they need more space to flip out.  I just ordered a #40L and this should solve any issues.  The mediums on top of the #38 are about the perfect height, I wouldn't recommend the highs.  

http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v181/762x51/Guns/SPR/SPR_Side1_Sm1.jpg
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:30:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Mucho thanks for the pics and info.  Very nice setups there.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top