Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2004 11:18:33 AM EDT
Just an FYI, I just bought a Burris Fullfield II, 3x9x40 rifle scope. The main reason I bought it is Burris advertises "made in USA" in their catalog and on the website. Well, I get the scope home and notice that nowhere does it say where it is made.

I contacted Burris andthey flat out told me that it was made "overseas using US made parts."
They finally admitted it was made in Japan. Now I am not usually real anal about this stuff, but they did advertise made in the USA so that was the selling point to me. Nothing like misleading the public to make a sale.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting.  

I too bought the same scope, the one with the free spotting scope.  A very helpful lady at SWFA.com told me that the scope WAS made in the USA, but the SPOTTING scope was NOT.  When it arrived, there was a sticker on the spotting scope that said "Made In China".  Nothing on the scope itself.

Very interesting.

It's still a really nice scope IMHO.  Very bright and clear.  The ballistic plex is pretty cool too.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I think your talking about the Fullfield binos, they're made in Japan, scopes are made in USA. btw, If something is made overseas, it must state that somewhere on the product or the box. If I'm wrong, I'll be back. Jay
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I contacted Burris several weeks ago about where they products were made. They replied that all their scopes, with the exception of the Fullfield II series, are made in the U.S.A.  According to them, the Fullfield series is made overseas with U.S. made components. I didn't ask about binoculars or spotting scopes.  At the approximately $200 price they are charging for the 3-9X Fullfield and spotting scope combination, I'd be amazed if they were U.S. produced.

By the way, what do you think of the Fullfield and spotting scope - place of manufaccture notwithstanding?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I told you if I was wrong I'd be back, 3x-9x and 4.5x-14x Fullfield will be made in the Phillipines. Jay
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:28:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Does this apply to all their lines?

Or just thia particular scope on sale.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I copied this information from a post on RimfireCentral.Com & it makes for some interesting reading:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of us are at least familiar with the ultra quality of US Optics riflescopes (in the $2000+ range). Here is an edited quote from their catalog that should be interesting to US Optics freaks....
My name is John B. Williams Jr. and I am proud to say I started US Optics and I own and run the company proudly.

After working in the firearms industry for almost forty years, I recognized the need for an extremely high quality line of American made custom telescopic sights that would give shooters what they wanted and needed, not what some American, Japanese, or German company president (who usually didn’t/doesn’t even shoot) thought the shooter needed.

Today, most Japanese makers have gone to China for their lenses. Those lenses show up in Japanese scopes sold by many of our American and European competitors. No other scope company that we know of in the world today makes lenses for their scopes in their own factory, under their own supervision. Almost all of the scope companies have the entire scope made in the orient or elsewhere. Some of these companies have attempted to assemble the Oriental components here. Leupold and Burris build here and do a good job, for being “production scopes”. They do not build any lenses in their plants.

That is not to say that our custom made U.S. Optics scopes are made totally here. That is not true. Switches, springs, raw glass, pressings, lens coatings and anodizing are some of the minor things that we sometimes buy outside our plant. This does not necessarily mean offshore.

Let’s get some facts absolutely straight. Most of the German made Schott glass (Mainz Germany) is some of the very best in the world today but is not always available in some types of glass. If we can buy better glass somewhere else we will sometimes do it, because it simply does not matter in the way that some people think it does. Gentlemen, if a lens or lens system meets full and complete manufacturing specifications, from a technical point of view, it does not matter in the least where it was made. I have seen some types of glass sold by Schott offshore that is better than that of most optical glass makers. The Schott glass factory in Duryea, Pennsylvania (a subsidiary of Schott Glass Germany), makes fantastically good glass, but don’t let people tell you foreign glass is not as good as “American” or “German” glass. Ask them to prove it-as it simply isn’t true and all of those in the optical field know it (if they really know their job). Yet, you will hear the same old tired phrase, “if it isn’t German made, it isn’t as good”, or “German glass is the best”.

It is a well known fact that Leitz of Canada (formerly a German company, now owned by Hughes / Raytheon), uses Ohara Glass (a Japanese company) and produces some of the world’s best lenses (made in China). They were doing that well before Hughes took over, I know, as one of my people worked there.

Interestingly, you will not see lens grinding, polishing and centering machines in the other scope making companies. Most manufacturers either have their lenses or the entire product made by someone else. Most Japanese scopes with American names use Hoya Lenses made in communist China.

I thought this was interesting.

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Does this apply to all their lines?

Or just thia particular scope on sale.

Just the scopes I mentioned, 3-9 and 4.5-14 FullfieldII, Jay
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah Burris told me straight out that the Fullfield II, 3x9x40 SCOPE definitely is not made here. Burris told me the cloth they wrap it in is made in the Phillipines while the scope is made in Japan from US parts. They told me this was the only scope not made in the USA out of their complete line. Burris needs to change their website. The scope nor the box say where the scope is made which I thought was odd.

I wanted to try a Burris since it was supposed to be made in the USA, and I do not own one currently. I will shoot it this weekend hopefully. It seems like a really nice scope for the money but won't have a real opinion until I shoot it.

The spotter seems OK, I like the fact that it is really small so I can fit it in my pack and actually seems nice for the money. Of course it is no Swarovski like my buddy's. That thing is unreal!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I can't comment on that particular scope...but I just bought a Fullfield II in 4.5x14, and a Nikon Buckmaster in the same magnification.  I haven't shot the rifles these scopes are on yet, but I spent at least 2 hours looking through them in bright light, overcast, rain, and dusk.  The Buckmaster is a *hair* clearer....I could clearly read the dealer sticker on the minivan down the street about 250 yards with the Nikon; but I couldn't quite make it out with the Burris.  Both of them are bright, and I couldn't see any difference..but the Burris has a 44mm objective, and I would have thought it would be brighter, especially at dusk.  The Nikon was $60 less than the Burris, but 2" longer...something to consider if you're going to put it on an AR...you'd need a 20" barrel for it not to look kinda goofy, as it's a hair under 15" in length.  

I was very impressed with the Buckmaster, especially is it isn't even the "good" Nikon glass.  Now, I think the Buckmasters are made in the Phillipines with Japanese parts  , so globalization is certainly alive and well in the optics business.  The Monarch series of Nikons are made in Japan, I believe.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Regarding the spotting scope...

It has ZERO eye relief.  Your eye has to be touching the eyepiece to see.  BUT, I could easily see my 5.56 caliber holes in my target 200 yards away.  The picture is bright and clear, and I'm very pleased with it as it's all I need.

While I was at the range, an Army Captain was there with his son.  They had borrowed the club spotter (a $1500 scope) because the $350 spotting scope he just bought was dark and fuzzy.  He came over and asked if he could look through my scope.  He LOVED it.  He said it would be perfect for his needs, seeing .17 caliber holes at 100 yards.  He too remarked that it was bright and clear... He said it was definitely no $1500 scope, but it was MUCH better than his $350 one.  Sorry, I don't know what brand either of the two spotting scopes were.  The club one, I've seen somewhere online before.  It's a tan, long one with the 45' angled eyepiece, and just OOZES $$$.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Went back and looked at my Burris Fullfield II's(have 3)------they ALL said Made in the USA by the eyepiece.

I bought them a couple years ago when the II's first came out---maybe things have changed since then.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top