Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2004 9:31:20 PM EDT
I was interested in finding out what is the standard Aimpoint mount being issued to our American Fighting Men?    Does the mount differ between the Marines and the Army?
Is it a standard Aimpoint mount or maybe a GG&G, A.R.M.S., etc...?

"Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns have."
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Its the Aimpoint QRP.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:14:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:47:05 PM EDT
[#3]
SEALs seem to be using the PRI mount.

USMC Force Recon appear to mostly favor the KAC Cantilever or Straight mounts, although Ive seen some with the excellent ARMS 22M68.

Just about everyone else is using the Aimpoint QRP as previously mentioned, however I have seen some Army units with the 22M68 also.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:56:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Air Force Security Forces in South Korea use the Aimpoint QRP.

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:22:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Second Troy's suggestion, IMO the ARMS M68 is the best option for Aimnpoint mounting.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:31:42 AM EDT
[#6]
The Force community uses the KAC Rings for the Aimpoints in both the cantilever and and straight mounts. The Aimpoint did not come with the Force SOPMOD kit, and they noted that the Reflex sight did not perform satisfactorily.
Note that there is equipment differences between each Force Company.
They Aimpoint was a sole source purchase, and the KAC rings performed better for their use.
However, one unit has replaced all of their rings/ mounts on the M4A1 with the Larue Rings. This includes the Aimpoint and ACOG.
They have been using the Larue rings for almost a year now, and the ability to rapidly remove/ replace the sights without a loss of zero has obvious major advantages.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Marines/Force Recon use the KAC cantaleaver(or however you spell it) mount.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:20:09 PM EDT
[#8]
The military started with the Aimpoint mounts as it was a pkg. deal. KAC, I believe came out with the first cantilever mt. that the military bought. ARMS has sold thousands of their standard throw lever 22M68's to the military, and they came out later with their cantilever spacer. Aimpoint also advertise and  sell the ARMS 22M68 to all types of military and commercial customers. The miitary also have made small unit purchases from a mixture of other makers.
Jack
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Recognizing that the ARMS product is faster on/off what are the other shortcomings of the Aimpoint QRP?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:39:28 PM EDT
[#10]
The knob sticks out which could snag on something, I like the QRP as it will fit any rail even if its out of spec and its a tough bastard.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:48:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Marines/Force Recon use the KAC cantaleaver(or however you spell it) mount.

That guy that posted right above you can cover any info on that subject quite well
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh,well.I got that on forcerecon.com.Didn't see the other posts.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:10:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Oh,well.I got that on forcerecon.com.Didn't see the other posts.

Click on the "Strong Men Armed" article.  Same Pat Rogers.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:05:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the QRP.
You can really beat the shit out of it and it holds zero even after many removals.
It's a tough mount, a solid package with more surface area along the rail grabber and mounting rings than the ARMS M68#22.
The knob does stick out a little but no more than A3 carry handle knobs.

That being said, I like the ARMS M68#22 equally.
It's machined better than the QRP and designed for versatile spacing setups and the Throw lever is second to none for quck realease and return zero.

Get 'em both!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top