Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2004 6:09:01 PM EDT
I swear the were not there at the store.  The sight went directly on my upper and into the safe.  I take it out a few days latter and it is cracked.  There are many many latteral cracks.  It has never left the safe.  What caused it and does it matter?  Do they all do this?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I dunno, mine has bubbles but they don't affect performance, you oughta call Trijicon, if that's a problem they'll tell you and exchange it...
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:20:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I dunno, mine has bubbles but they don't affect performance, you oughta call Trijicon, if that's a problem they'll tell you and exchange it...

I will email them, but if the consensus  around here is that this is no big deal I'd rather not be without my new scope while it is being fixed.

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine has those cracks and it is no big deal, I think someone asked this a few months ago and others said the same. So don't worry about it, it's not really teh fiber optic with the cracks but just the nature of the plastic covering it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:03:18 PM EDT
[#4]
All most all used ACOGS have cracks in the plastic cover
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I, too, have the bubble cracks.

I mean my TA11, that is.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:21:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't worry, the cracks are in the clear plastic protector tube that the fiber optic is inside of.   It should still work fine.    Its like a new car that just got a door ding.   Cosmetic only...
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool.  I'll just forget about the cracks................ on a $1000 optic.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#8]
don't be bummed , it's normal i guess. i think pretty much everybody's got cracks , including mine.

meat
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#9]
character lines.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
i think pretty much everybody's got cracks

meat

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Ink,

I've got a TA11 that I got in 1998 and it has the cracks and I've never had a problem with it.  I got 2 TA31's a few months back and when I got both of them neither of them had cracks and within the first month both had cracks.  It's cosmetic, it won't hurt anything.  Just about every TA11, compact ACOG (with the fiber optic) or TA31 that is not brand new has had cracks in the clear plastic housing that surrounds the fiber optic.  Honestly don't worry about it.

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
...cracks in the clear plastic housing that surrounds the fiber optic.  

Thats ALL it is.   Its cosmetic in nature only.  

TOOLS not trinkets.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:29:45 PM EDT
[#13]
inkaybee, don't listen to those other guys, it's one step away from being crapped out.  Sell it to me cheap and I'll take it off your hands and use it for a mockup project.

I'll add it to the other ACOGS I have with cracks, which means all of them...
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:54:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:02:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks everybody for all the answers.  My firearms are far from being safe queens.  I take them out and use the hell out of them.  It is just that usually when I get a scratch I "earn" it.  This ACOG is brand new.  Still, if it's no big deal then I'm happy.

On another note:  Once I get acquainted with my TA31 I may write up a head to head comparison between it and my TA01NSN/Docter combo.  If anybody is interested.  Let me know.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:27:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Im always interested in reviews like those... Oh and by the way, in case no one has said so, dont worry about the cracks!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:54:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes, if you have a BAC ACOG, you pretty much have scratches/cracks in the plastic tube around the fiber optic - in fact, I think most of mine were put there by the safe.

If you look close, there is a spot where the protective plastic tube around the fiber optics sticks up just a bit above the aluminium protective wings. This spot usually ends up wedged against the back of the safe or wall rack in many weapon racks (particularly since the AR is kind of "fat" in this regard anyway). This is also the spot where scratches usually appear.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:13:16 PM EDT
[#18]
You have a liberal ghost in yer safe Bart
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:16:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Am I late for the free Crack giveaway?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

You've had enough already
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:45:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You've had enough already

Funny.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:28:35 AM EDT
[#22]

You have a liberal ghost in yer safe Bart

I thought liberals didn't like guns, weird place for him to hang out
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#23]
that's why he/she is banging up your toys
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:14:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd also be very interested in reading the review.

Quoted:
On another note:  Once I get acquainted with my TA31 I may write up a head to head comparison between it and my TA01NSN/Docter combo.  If anybody is interested.  Let me know.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top