Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/31/2003 3:57:24 PM EDT
I am going to buy one soon and I was wondering what you guys thought of them. Ex: good optics, rugged, reliability etc. I did a search and came up with only one hit (Nikon red dot sight). Thinking about a Monarch either, a 3.5x 10x  50, or a 6.5x 20x  44AO. I plan to use it on a Savage FP10 (.308) or a RRA AR 20" flattop, mostly for target shooting at 100 yds. Could possibly do some shooting at 200 yds at times.
I was also concerned about the reliability of the scope should I have to take it out into the field.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Exnavarm
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 7:06:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Nikon = foreign mfg., repair/support? 1/8 moa clicks? No thanks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 5:29:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Nikon makes some of the best optics in the world, just a hair below the European names.  For the money, they may be the best...

I have a Nikon ED Spotting scope and a pair of Mountaineer binoculars. Both are superb.  I thought about one of their rifle scopes, but ended up with another Leupold [;)].

Some thoughts here:

[url]http://64.177.53.248/ubb/Forum56/HTML/000656.html[/url]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:09:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the thoughts. Bsbg,  thanks for the link, very interesting reading.

Anyone else?    Exnavarm
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:17:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I have been using a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14 for a couple of years and it has been totally reliable. Got a different barrel now and feel that a step up to the Monarch in 6.5x20 might be worthwhile. For the money, they are an excellent value, and if the reliability is anything like the cameras (which I have used profesionally for years), they will work in just about any conditions that will reduce others to a collection of parts.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#5]
They are known for awesome clarity in any catagory or price range.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:17:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had Nikons for about ten years, I think they're great. As for repair & support I sent one in for repair (life-time warranty) to Torrance CA., they sent me a new one, a Monarch UCC in under ten days. (3-9x40)
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I picked up a 1.5-4.5X-20 Nikon with a diamond Plex retical a couple of years ago to outfit my 308 A-Bolt Deer hunting rifle. really nice scope.
Excellent clarity, did not fog up from in the house to out on the stand. 1/4clicks with excellent repeatability. Held Zero well(within 1/2MOA) and good low light gathering quality. I am normally a Leupold Guy, but I thought I'd try the Nikon. I was not dissapointed at all. I would recommend them, and I'd pick up another one.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you all very much! This is what I needed to hear. I think I will pick one up this weekend and test it out as soon as possible

Exnavarm
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:47:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the Monarch 6.5-20x44 and have been happy with it.  It's bright and clear and the adjustments track as well as any scope I've ever owned.  The eye relief could be about 1/2" longer but I've never had a problem with it personally.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top