BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2003 4:27:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Something about that Eotech mounted on a M1A just looks awesome.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm amazed a sniper preffers an EO tech.  I always thought for any precision work- where it is not just hitting but where you are hitting the target (vital areas)- a magnified optic was a great help.  

4power acogs are a nice compromise between 10x dedicated sniper optics and reflex sights.

Well I guess when you have 20-10 vision you don't need magnified optics.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I think the M1A w/Eotech is the spotters weapon. The sniper in the other photos was armed with a M24. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure hes a trained sniper. Hes just serving in the spotters capacity on this operation.

[img]http://www.armytimes.com/content/editorial/editart/122203front17.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Read the article Va.

[b]"From his own rooftop position, Davis tracked him with his favorite weapon — an M-14 rifle equipped with a special optic sight that has crosshairs and a red aiming dot."[/b]

[b]"In the handful of skirmishes since mid December, Davis has been credited with eight confirmed kills and two “probables,” a count no soldier in the brigade has come close to matching."[/b]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 11:28:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like I standard corrected. I guess I need to reread the article.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Just pimpin for the God's Honest Rifle as opposed to those wacky bolt gunners [;)]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 11:38:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm amazed a sniper preffers an EO tech.  I always thought for any precision work- where it is not just hitting but where you are hitting the target (vital areas)- a magnified optic was a great help.  

4power acogs are a nice compromise between 10x dedicated sniper optics and reflex sights.

Well I guess when you have 20-10 vision you don't need magnified optics.
View Quote

Classic example of the difference between conventional miltary sniping and SO or LE sniping.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#8]
He has that Eotech all of the way back. Usually when I see an Eotech mounted it is much further forward.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#9]
When you are using Aimpoints or Eotechs to shoot at longer distances, having it too far out actually obscures the target area to a certain degree.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:06:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Two things here:

- magnification just helps you see the target, you're not any more or less accurate with it.

- If you're a police sniper then you care about where you hit them.  If your a military sniper then all you need to worry about is that you hit them COM.  The critical sniper skills in that environment/mission are the ability to move stealthily, stay hidden, identify the target, 'think like a sniper' to identify the places that enemy snipers might be found, etc.  IOW, all the skills that make the sniper different from somebody who's merely accurate with a rifle.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Lumpy is right about a distance shot with a Eotech ,I like to mount it on the rail on a flat top AR.hey Lumpy that pic of Dinero kills me every time I see it on your posts.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:33:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Good article.

Anyone else notice the rail system on the guy's M14?

Isn't it a KAC RAS? Are those readily available yet?

Can anyone tell which model of EO-Tech he's using? 551 or 552?
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Also, anyone care to hazard a guess as to what kind of ammo he's using?

I'll bet it ain't standard M80 Ball...[;)]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:39:52 AM EDT
[#14]
300 meter shot with an Eotech. I just started liking my 552 a whole lot more.

I wonder if he dialed in elevation or used hold-over?

Anybody found any more details on this?
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#15]
My guess is that it's zeroed in at 200yds so hold-over is a little more than 6 inches at 300 yds.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't personally own a Eotech, but I've watched M4arc shoot dam fine tight little  groups all day at 200 yards with his M4 W/Eotech. Sighted in at 50 yards using nothing more than the "improved battle sight zero" technique.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Just a thought, but I thought spotters would use some type of magnification also to call the shots. :*)
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 12:18:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just a thought, but I thought spotters would use some type of magnification also to call the shots. :*)
View Quote

typically the spotter carries an independant spotting scope, and and M4/M16 (according to the History Channels Snipers DVD, I got for Christmas)[:D] Of course they will carry a number of different mission specific equipment. As portrayed in this thread.

Did anyone else remember back to the posted picture of the supposed rifle that the DC "Snipers" were using. It had an Eotech too [shock].

Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Anybody know who makes the Flash suppressor on the M-24 and where to get one?????
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#20]
The supressor on the bolt gun looks like a Vortex. Brownells has them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#21]
A dot optic is a natural for the M14, because of the problems mounting regular scopes.

The articles notes that the shots they are taking are in between 100 and 300 meters.  At those type of ranges, I shoot better with irons than with a low powered scope like the ACOG.  That is one of the reasons my ACOG ended up on the EE.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Figured we ought to add some AR content:

"Before the day was over, Davis, armed with an M-4 carbine and an all-purpose optic, would be responsible for seven of the 11 enemy kills."

Now what optic they are reffering to there is anyone's guess.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:56:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The articles notes that the shots they are taking are in between 100 and 300 meters.  At those type of ranges, I shoot better with irons than with a low powered scope like the ACOG.  That is one of the reasons my ACOG ended up on the EE.
View Quote

How do you define that, your ability to make tight groups off a bench (the reticles in the combat optics don't lend themselves to that type of shooting) or your ability to quickly place a round on a target in any firing position?

I have yet to meet anyone who has been able to perform better in battlefield type conditions with irons.  In fact military forces have noticed that the addition of magnified optics has meant too many troops qualifying expert with  their rifles, but they are not attempting to shoot small tight groups but to quickly hit targets.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:07:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Figured we ought to add some AR content:

"Before the day was over, Davis, armed with an M-4 carbine and an all-purpose optic, would be responsible for seven of the 11 enemy kills."

Now what optic they are reffering to there is anyone's guess.
View Quote

Most likely the optic that they're referring to is the standard-issue M68 CCO (i.e.- Aimpoint CompM or Comp M2)
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:43:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

How do you define that, your ability to make tight groups off a bench (the reticles in the combat optics don't lend themselves to that type of shooting) or your ability to quickly place a round on a target in any firing position?
View Quote

That is a fair point.  I was shooting prone and taking my time.  But I was shooting faster with an Aimpoint at shorter ranges than with the BAC ACOG, so I figured I was better off with the Aimpoint/irons combination.  For me, a short range encounter is more likely and if longer range was needed the irons would work (while perhaps not being ideal).  The accuracy is certainly not a problem out to 400 meters with irons, but it may be a bit more difficult to identify targets and get positioned.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top