Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/30/2003 4:58:20 PM EDT
Hi there,
It seems quite a few people has been using Optima/TA01NSN combo like this :

However, those who are using other TA01*,TA11* or TA31* are out of luck because there is no back up iron sight anchor to screw the base plate on. I am trying to see if there is any interest to machine a lower half ring for the base plate so that the other TA* series users can also mount the red dot on their ACOG. Any current owners of ACOG interested ?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I'm not [;)].

The BAC feature of the TA11 and 31 make the Optima  / Docter superfluous.  Cool idea if you had a TA 01 though, but may not be much of a market.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:09:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Check the thread I started a couple days ago, its on page three now....

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=176916

I dont know how to link to it.

Anyway, I have been talking to the guys at specwar coming up with ideas. We have come up with two different setups that are being worked on now but do not have a final setup yet.  They also have the ring idea similar to yours but I dont quite get where the ring would go.  My idea was using the screws on the back of the scope which they seemed to like that idea also, but like I said they are still playing with it.  Hopefully they will hook me up with a free one in the end!!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:25:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:34:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess some people might want their TA11 or TA31 to be a jelly-filled donut of death...
[}:D]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:32:37 AM EDT
[#5]
[rofl]
If ya get a visible laser sight, look through a TA11 or TA31 while activated, it'd be indeed like a jelly filled donut (out to the distance the laser is zeroed for) [:d]
The idea of using a mini red dot sight on top of the TA01 series is to address the lack of CQB capability of the fine crosshair reticle of these otherwise excellent scopes.  ACOGs with BAC will have no need for it, as they're built specifically with that in mind.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I have both a TA01NSN/Optima set up and a TA31BAC.  The TA01 does have certain advantages with the Optima mounted.  I cannot imagine that the BAC scope would be worth the bother and the bulk. The very idea is on the edge of ridiculous. Just my opinion.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry for the minor hijack. but.....

Watch-six, since you have both a ta01nsn/docter and a ta31.  Could you compare and contrast the two setups for us.  I have been using a ta01nsn/docter for some time now and still have issues with the high cheek weld.  But I also had issues with the BAC the few limmited times I was able to use a BAC ACOG.  

I noticed the phioria (cange in point of aim between magnified and un magnified view) pretty bad.  Also BAC seemed slower than a true 1x reflex.  However, as much as I practice, the Docter way up high can still be a pain in the butt.  What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

again sorry for the hijack.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I have not had the TA31 for as long as the TA01, but here are my observations.  I prefer the TA01 as a magnified scope.  The reticle is finer and IMHO more accurate for small targets.  I have used it out to 600 yards with excellent results on man sized targets.  I also prefer the Optima's dot for close range targets over the BAC. I do not like the high cheek weld that is required to use the Optima, but it is not as bad as most carry handle mounted scopes that I have used.  The bulk of the TA01NSN/Optima is undesirable compared to the TA31BAC.  I would not go out of my way to buy a TA01NSN and then add the red dot Optima to it.  I would just get a TA31BAC.  I already had the TA01, and I got the Optima for a good price, so I put them together.  If I were starting over I believe that most people would be better off with the BAC scope.  Any advantages of the TA01NSN/Optima are more than offset by the disadvantages of bulk, cheek weld, ruggedness and expense. However, since I already have it, I will not be selling my NSN set up to buy another BAC scope. I hope that this helps.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for your reply.

Kris
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top