Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/28/2003 9:31:27 PM EDT
What would you guys say was the best optic(i.e. red dot, etc.) that would mount on the carry handle and be easily removed?  I was thinking about an Aimpoint or something along those lines but then started looking at Trijicon.  Please help me decide on something.  By the way it would be mounted on a Bushmaster XM15 A2.

Thanks,
Wes
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Trijicon!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:05:59 AM EDT
[#2]
[center]
[blue]
Aimpoint ML2, A.R.M.S. #39 with A.R.M.S. #22M68.  [/blue]

[img]http://www.semanon13.com/images/r1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.semanon13.com/images/r4.jpg[/img]
[/center]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:04:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I second the Trijicon vote, since you didn't specifiy a price range, then TA31! [:d]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:51:27 AM EDT
[#4]
What are you going to shoot with said Bushmaster?

Sort of like asking what car to buy an informed reply would need to know if you're hauling lumber or hauling ass! A Ford F350 or a Porsche 911 Turbo.

Red-dots-of-death are made for CQB from the point of the barrel out to a couple of dozen yards.

Mid-power scopes like the ACOG's are meant for improving hit probablities at mid-range targets beyond iron sight but before a dedicated sniper - say 150 to 300 yards.

High-power scopes are meant for the sniper's role hitting targets 200 yards and well beyond but keep in mind a .223 62 grain bullet isn't much of a round to be throwing too far down range.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:02:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Compact ACOG
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:10:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I am not a fan of carry handle optics at all. I find no comfort or precision in forming a "chin weld" with the buttstock. The iron sights are high enough, any optic mounted higher than the irons is a waste IMO.

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:08:11 AM EDT
[#7]
TA50-2R Compact ACOG 3x, Red Triangular Reticule.

One optic that pretty much can do it all, requires no batteries, and is very lightweight yet tough.

My 2nd Choice would be an Aimpoint M2 with the gooseneck mount.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 1:47:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Do all of the ACOGS and Compact ACOGS already have the carry handle adapter built in?

Thanks,
Wes
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 2:23:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Do all of the ACOGS and Compact ACOGS already have the carry handle adapter built in?
View Quote

No.  

For example the TA50-2 is the carry handle version of the 3x Compact ACOG with Triangle reticule.  You can also get it as the TA39-2 wich is the 'Special Ring Base' which has a host of adapters it can work with.

If I didn't have an AR that would be the model to look at as you can adapters for a variety of weapons and 3 different flattop mounts.

TA-40s (and below) are Special Ring Base; TA44s and above are M16 carryhandle.

I don't know how the full-size ACOGs handle it - but with the Compact ACOGs a quick look at the model number will tell you if its M16 handle compatible.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top