Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/28/2003 11:19:50 AM EDT
Can anyone tell me the difference between the Eotech 510 and the higher 500 series models other than night vision capability and battery type? The reason I would be interested in the 510 is because it allows you to switch between the 65moa w/1 moa dot and just a 1 moa dot. does it lack other features?

The descriptions I find mostly look the same.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 11:36:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Ok, first things first. There are no EO Tech models that have a switchable reticle. IIRC, the early Bushnells holosights had this feature but EO Tech never has. With EO Techs, you can either get a 1 MOA dot or the 65 MOA ring w/a 1 MOA dot and that's it. BTW, where did you hear about "switchable" reticles?

Now, as far as the differences between the models, try their website:

[url=www.eotech-inc.com/tactical/specs.html]EO Tech HDS Specs[/url]

It's a good idea to refer to EO Tech sights by their [b]order numbers[/b] and not their model #s. Why EO Tech makes this so confusing I'll never know. Anyway, if you take the 510-LL Sage out of the equation, you only have (4) models: 511, 512, 551, and 552. Models #s ending in "1" use "N" batteries whereas model #s ending in "2" use AA batteries.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out the forums section at www.gandrtactical.com. Best explaination I have seen about the differences between the various eotech models. Also good prices.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 1:43:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ok, first things first. There are no EO Tech models that have a switchable reticle. IIRC, the early Bushnells holosights had this feature but EO Tech never has. With EO Techs, you can either get a 1 MOA dot or the 65 MOA ring w/a 1 MOA dot and that's it. BTW, where did you hear about "switchable" reticles?

Now, as far as the differences between the models, try their website:

[url=www.eotech-inc.com/tactical/specs.html]EO Tech HDS Specs[/url]

It's a good idea to refer to EO Tech sights by their [b]order numbers[/b] and not their model #s. Why EO Tech makes this so confusing I'll never know. Anyway, if you take the 510-LL Sage out of the equation, you only have (4) models: 511, 512, 551, and 552. Models #s ending in "1" use "N" batteries whereas model #s ending in "2" use AA batteries.
View Quote

This is what it says for Eotech 510 specs on [url]http://www.opticsplanet.net/eotech-holographic-sight-510.html#[/url]

Specifications for EOTech Holographic Sight 510:

Model:    510
Waterproof & Submersible:    to 10 ft depth  
Battery:    N Alkaline
Battery Life (setting 12): 100 hours continuous  
Length of sight:4 inches (102 mm)  
Reticle Options: 65 MOA ring w/ 1 MOA dot or single 1 MOA dot  
View Quote

I guess they mean you can have only one or the other. I like the idea of just the 1 MOA dot. Do you think that would be too hard to see by itself?

Thanks for the info and the links, all.

Link Posted: 12/28/2003 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This is what it says for Eotech 510 specs on [url]www.opticsplanet.net/eotech-holographic-sight-510.html#[/url]
View Quote

Bah, that's a great example of why I always go to the manufacturer's website whenever possible. After looking at that linke, I completely understand where you're coming from on this.

I guess they mean you can have only one or the other. I like the idea of just the 1 MOA dot. Do you think that would be too hard to see by itself?
View Quote

Well, I really don't know. I've only had a 552 or a sight with a single 4 MOA dot. However, I can tell you that most people that use EO Techs like it because of the ring/dot reticle. Considering that the sight was designed for quick target acquisition in close quarters, an overall bigger reticle is quicker for many people to pickup.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 2:34:12 PM EDT
[#5]
The ring is wasted. All it does is get in the way, especially in low light. As in the Aimpoint, the dot is easy to immediately pick-up because the outline of the window/lens/etc. facilitates this anyway.

However, the NV range of settings is very worthwhile for low light work, even if you don't have NV. The lowest normal setting is not low enough at night, and one generally winds up using the top 2 or 3 settings on the NV range. So if you want that feature you are forced to take the ring, since the 55x series is only available with the A65 reticle.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The ring is wasted. All it does is get in the way, especially in low light. As in the Aimpoint, the dot is easy to immediately pick-up because the outline of the window/lens/etc. facilitates this anyway.

However, the NV range of settings is very worthwhile for low light work, even if you don't have NV. The lowest normal setting is not low enough at night, and one generally winds up using the top 2 or 3 settings on the NV range. So if you want that feature you are forced to take the ring, since the 55x series is only available with the A65 reticle.
View Quote

Then sounds like the 551 or 552 is where I need to be.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:22:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This statement is purely subjective.  Take it how you will.  Try the EOTech and get to know it.  If you don't like it after practicing with it, get an Aimpoint.  If you don't like either, get an ACOG.  If you don't like any of those, go back to irons until the next gen of optics appears. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the 65MOA ring 1MOA dot combo. For quick shots the ring helps. Your eye almost automatically finds the ring center and the dot. For longer shots the 1MOA dot allows a little more precision, and I find I don't even notice the ring.
The changeable reticules were on the 400 series. I'm not sure but I think that series was only sold under the Bushnell name. That series also had a 2X adapter and a PD model with a very large protective hood. If changeable reticules interest you the 400 series can often be found on ebay, and Arizona Gunrunners has some of the different reticule lenses and hoods instock.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:55:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I like the 65MOA ring 1MOA dot combo. For quick shots the ring helps. Your eye almost automatically finds the ring center and the dot. For longer shots the 1MOA dot allows a little more precision, and I find I don't even notice the ring.
The changeable reticules were on the 400 series. I'm not sure but I think that series was only sold under the Bushnell name. That series also had a 2X adapter and a PD model with a very large protective hood. If changeable reticules interest you the 400 series can often be found on ebay, and Arizona Gunrunners has some of the different reticule lenses and hoods instock.
View Quote

Any known issues with the 400 series?

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:59:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Any known issues with the 400 series?

View Quote
Never mind I researched it and answered my own question. the 400 series dnot have the sealed electonics - waterproof only to shower standard - not submersible as are the 500 series. Also has forward light signature, lens is not non glare, no auto battery check, and a few other features not present. I think I will stick with the 551 or 552.

Thanks everyone for you input.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top