Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/27/2003 9:33:41 PM EDT
First off, thanks for looking

Much to my surprise I got a TA-11D for Christmas. It didn't come with a mount so I need to find one. I have no desire for an ARMS 19 or 19S throwlever mount-I'd rather have thumbscrews.

I see that ARMS makes two of them, and Trijicon makes one too. Which one is better? I'm still undecided on backup irons, but compatibility with a BUIS would be nice too.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 10:09:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you [booze]? [:d]
I have 19S on all of mine, including the TA01NSN that came with the TA51 mount, which is a bit lower than the 19S, so while you can still use a KAC 300 without any problem, ARMS 40 is very close to touching it, no problem there either though.
I'll sell it to you if you want [naughty]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:30:53 AM EDT
[#2]
FI you want to use an ARMS #40 BUIS, I think you need the ARMS mounts as they are a tad higher than the TA-51. If you are going to use the KAC or GG&G MAD, the TA-51 will work fine and they can be had pretty inexpensively in the EE (all the people replacing them with the 19S [;)])
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:54:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I replaced all the thumbscrew mounts on my TA11 , TA01NSN and TA44R-2 with ARMS19S , a more safe and quickier mount IMHO .

PP out
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. I'll take a look at the shorter ARMS thumbscrew mount. Quick release isn't a priority, and I'm not happy with the friction fit setup of the throw lever mounts. When I loan the carbine to my father's PD the ACOG will come off and the carry handle will go back on.

Oh yeah, one more question: Are there any compatibility issues when using an ACOG with a tritium front sight in low light? I'm wondering about ghosting etc in the ACOG reticle.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:05:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I have two rifles with tritium front sight, it'll show up nicely at night in the ACOG's sight picture, to a point I want to remove them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#6]
You are mistaken as there is no friction in the throw levers, they are spring loaded simular in a way to their #40 rear sight that maintains its position via spring tention, and simular to a point as found in the M16A2 rear sight housing that maintains position via spring tention not friction.  The friction is in all the thumb nut types when you tighten them to stay.
Jack
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You are mistaken as there is no friction in the throw levers, they are spring loaded simular in a way to their #40 rear sight that maintains its position via spring tention, and simular to a point as found in the M16A2 rear sight housing that maintains position via spring tention not friction.  The friction is in all the thumb nut types when you tighten them to stay.
Jack
View Quote

I'm not referring to the levers themselves, but the pads that actually hold the mount to the rail. If I understand it correctly there isn't a bolt that passes through the rail, the mount stays put with side tension only. Is this not the case? If I'm incorrect please tell me.

I have two rifles with tritium front sight, it'll show up nicely at night in the ACOG's sight picture, to a point I want to remove them.
View Quote

Dammit. Oh well, thanks for the info [:)]

I may have to rethink my strategy when I loan out the gun. Currently I have a Trijicon front sight post and Trijicon rears installed on the A3 carry handle. I was hoping I could simply remove the ACOG and reinstall the carry handle when I lend it to the PD.

It sounds like I may have to remove the tritium front sight post and leave the ACOG installed. I'm just not thrilled with the idea of having a $900 optic bouncing around in the trunk of a cruiser. I'll have to find out what kind of rack they use.

Thanks again guys!
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 1:14:06 PM EDT
[#8]
There is a square rod that runs side to side thru the square nothes, and that gives you a positive stop. The metal plate is called a buffer pad and that prevents wear to the metal and finish of the dovetail rail you are attaching to. The buffer pad is not a spring, the spring action comes from inside the housing where the ft. and lever swivel and spring up and down to compensate for variations to the plus and minus dim's of the mil std. 1913 rail.
That spring action does contribute to a longer life to electro optics as they act like shock absorbers on an automobile; apposed to hard mounting via thumb nuts that don't lessen shock waves at all.
Jack
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Excellent-thanks for the detailed info. I was under the impression that the #19 and #19S did not have a positive lock through the rail. In other words, I was concerned that the pads would wear over time and be able to slide front to back.

For this reason I put a higher priority on a positive lock than the quick release feature. If I can have both then that's what I'll do [:)]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 1:33:16 PM EDT
[#10]
[img]www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid95/p92e274a83a39bbb0bcf32dee9018fcb6/fa2922e8.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 1:50:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
[url]www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid95/p92e274a83a39bbb0bcf32dee9018fcb6/fa2922e8.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Man Duffy, you are quick with that camera...[:D]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 2:04:57 PM EDT
[#12]
hehe, a few days off from work has got me a little restless, I'm on top of sh*t as I am about my work [:)]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top