Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2003 7:03:35 PM EDT
I saw this while flipping through the book. Anybody have one?
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?sku=SCP%2D525&thru=fr&mscssid=9E4LFPNWW9SG9PUPMVNM3872UMSSDF60
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#1]
No name optics scare me.

That said, Im an optics snob, nor have I ever handled that optic, so Im not qualified to comment. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#2]
[i]"Best AR-15 rig we have seen"[/i]
View Quote

Wow, that comment scares me even more...
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:12:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Most things from CTD have a tendency to scare me.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#4]
hm... so I see nobody really likes it [:(]

THat makes me a sad panda cause I want someting about that size.

Oh well, back to the search. Thanks for the input y'all [:)]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:38:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought one that looks just like it at a gun show.  I only paid $30 for it.  I've got it mounted on top of the carry handle of my bushy M4.  Took a while to zero it in, but since then I haven't had a problem with it.  I don't know why I bought it, I use the irons most.  

[url]http://www.sogarmory.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=101423[/url]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:42:48 PM EDT
[#6]
lol you guys scare too easily.  It pays to be an optics snob, quality stuff costs money to make, often it's not just a matter of what the manufacturer can command.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:20:39 PM EDT
[#7]
It does pay to be careful when looking at inexpensive accessories.  I ddon't think every low cost accessory is bad.  there are some really great things you can get for your rifle that don't cost an arm or a leg.  Its just that when I first got into ARs, I tried to save some money and bought from Tapco, CTD, Sportsmans Guide, etc.  I learned after a short time that trying to save cost on the knock offs and just plain crap they sell is really not worth it.  I easily spent $700-$800 on those things and was screwed every time with horrendously bad products.  It was moeny that could have gone toward an ACOG, an Aimpoint, an EOTech, or even a new upper.  

The cheap scopes look nice in the catalog.  They may even look exactly like their higher priced competitors.  However, the performance of those cheap scopes and any other chicom knock off item those places pass off as quality will be seriously lacking in performance.  Sometimes not even in the short term, but eventually you will know the difference.  Wheteher its apparent right awway, or it takes a couplke of range sessions, the quality (or lack thereof) will show itself ion a very obvious way.  

Personally, I'd rather go with no optic than a bad optic.  Save your $50 or however much it costs.   Keep it in the bank, put it in your sock drawer, tell your wife/girlfriend/significant other/life partner to keep it somewhere safe so you don't spend it.  You will do right by yourself to save the money and put it towards something of higher quality.  In the long run, it will be well worth it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#8]
yea it's probably too good to be true since it's pretty much the perfect style for me [:(]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:54:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Anybody else notice this tidbit from the ad:

....just right for your AR-15 and mounts attaches on the plate on left side of the rifle...
View Quote

Mounts to the plate on the left side of the rifle?

WTF?

You think somebody doesn't know the difference between the M193 rail ON TOP of the AR-15 vs the AKM/AK-74 scope rail which is on the left side of the rifle?
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 11:12:25 AM EDT
[#10]
well a bad scope could be used as a field expedient spotting scope to ID your target, then you can shoot it using iron sights [:d]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 4:25:21 PM EDT
[#11]
anybody know something with around that same setup? Mounts to the handle, preferably no batteries, and won't cost me 1200 bucks? I think 4X should be enough magnification for me. I just can't seem to find anything. I don't want a big full size rifle scope on it. I want something smaller.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
...Tapco, CTD, Sportsmans Guide
View Quote

"There's a sucker born every minute"
 - P.T. Barnum
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, you could get the Colt branded scopes.  Sold mine, after seeing the ACOG I just can't use anything else [bd]
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...Tapco, CTD, Sportsmans Guide
View Quote

"There's a sucker born every minute"
 - P.T. Barnum
View Quote

Hey, c'mon Kisara, don't rub it in.  I feel bad enough already.  I've learned my lesson and hope to prevent others from repeating these same terrible mistakes.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top