Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2003 12:10:55 PM EDT
This isn't a big deal, and it really isn't an attempt to lure folks over to my EE ad, but a question: I haven't seen much about the Rock River Tactical Carrying handle with sight lately. Mine's great with an Aimpoint. Am I missing something?

Jaywalker
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The only thing you are missing is a better way to mount an Aimpoint. The RRA so called "tactical" carry handle creates more problems than anything else. Using it you automatically exclude yourself from forward mounting an Aimpoint. Forward mounting is more advantageous because it clears your field of view, makes 2 eye open shooting easier, makes target/reticle acqusition faster among other reasons. In additon, the only Aimpoint mount that can be used with the "tactical" carry handle is one of the worst/weakest Aimpoint mounts on the market. So... you take RRA's tactical carry handle, (which BTW is neither tactical or a carry handle) and you have an Aimpoint which should be mounted out further in a mount that is inferior to almost anything else you can get.

There are many choices, I want to say that again, MANY CHOICES on how you can mount your Aimpoint. Many of them will work. Using a RRA "tactical" carry handle will work, but almost anything else you can get will work better.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got one that came with the 2001 LEGP carbines, and it's OK. Aimpoint does make a heavy duty ring, which costs about $25 and is plenty strong. Co-witness is pretty good with this setup. The drawbacks are high price and excessive weight. Also, as mentioned, you give up the ability to mount the sight forward. I never minded it being where the Tac handle located it though. But my "good" M4gery has an ARMS M68 cantilever mount and #40A BUIS. It definately works better. FWIW, the ARMS mounts I used avtually cost more than the Tac handles are selling for nowadays.

Tac Handle:

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=10183[/img]

ARMS setup:

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=20511[/img]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, now I understand the issues. I didn't care for forward mount approaches, due to the already heavy forward weight bias of my heavy Bushy barrel. I also preferred the simpler one-piece approach. That doesn't mean my preferences were tactically best, however, and I appreciate your bringing me up to date.

Jaywalker
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top