User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/20/2003 7:13:50 PM EDT
I'm trying to find a BUIS to fit underneath the following setup:

- Colt MT6731 upper;
- Armalite new-style 1" scope mount; and
- Leupold Vari-XII 3-9X40.

I measured and there's about 0.43" between the rear ocular piece of the Leupold and the top of the flattop rail.

I'd love it if I could squeeze an ARMS #40 in there, but I don't see that happening.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Corey
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have any measurements, but the KAC 300m sight has the lowest profile I've seen. If that doesn't fit, nothing will.

Steve.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:24:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I don't have any measurements, but the KAC 300m sight has the lowest profile I've seen. If that doesn't fit, nothing will.

Steve.
View Quote

Yuh huh...
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:46:39 PM EDT
[#3]
yessah...

that there will fit your set up just fine.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:33:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's a KAC 300m flip up with the setup you describe.  It may look like the sight is touching the scope, but it's not.

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=81018&c=500&z=1"][img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/081018.JPG[/img][/url]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 4:37:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not sure what the difference in size is, but the GG&G MAD is also very low profile.  Does anyone have experience with that BUIS?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 4:41:40 AM EDT
[#6]
New Arms 40L  (L as in low).  Check out WES on the EE.

Edit to say sorry I guess it is still too high.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:56:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm not sure what the difference in size is, but the GG&G MAD is also very low profile.  Does anyone have experience with that BUIS?
View Quote

The MAD and the KAC are the same height at the highest point (0.60+/-) due to the windage knob.  The difference is that the KAC is relieved across the top (0.30+/-) where the MAD is flat all the way across.  This allows the KAC to fit better under a scope.  Hope that makes sense.

I like the MAD, personally.

MAD vs. ARMS #40:
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=18187[/img]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks everyone.  I now know what sights to focus on.

Corey
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:37:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Corey

The ht. for the militaty is .610 above the attachment rail , any optic lower than that, (and thats awfully low) is going to make you have to lay your head sideways on the straight line stock. Their new 40L looks like it should do the trick since you wanted a #40A.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Corey

The ht. for the militaty is .610 above the attachment rail , any optic lower than that, (and thats awfully low) is going to make you have to lay your head sideways on the straight line stock. Their new 40L looks like it should do the trick since you wanted a #40A.
Good shootin, Jack
View Quote

Jack:

The Armalite mount puts the scope just about on line with the irons.  So it is a very comfortable cheekweld.  The pic above (M4-guy) is exactly my setup, down to the Butler Creek covers.

It's the bottom of the rear of the scope (not the reticle) that is about 0.44" above the flattop.  I said 0.43" to try and factor in a bit of wiggle room.

What is the height of the low profile #40?  I'd love to be able to use a #40.  I don't have much experience with them, but I was initially underwhelmed with the concept.  That is until I handled one, in which case I was highly impressed.  I can certainly see why the ARMS #40 is the top folding BUIS.

Corey
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:00:34 PM EDT
[#11]
[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=176656&w=myTopicPop]40-L thread[/url]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:18:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Corey

From what I understand, the 40L was developed for a sopmod program stating ht. requirments off an attachment rail. That makes sense as Wes says it's at .600 in ht. If you go directly off the flat top then anything would certainly clear. The std. #40's are able to allow optics to be mounted about a 1/2-1.00" lower than if in the carry handle, variations depending on the configuration of the occular end. If going off a riser, sleeve or SIR, then the ht. of a standard #40 isn't an issue as it's lower off the attachment rail than any of the other sights.
Jack
Good shootin, Jack
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top