Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2003 10:03:51 AM EDT
Had the bushy with the holosite edead on at 50 yds. shooting 45 gr. Win. JHP @ their claimed 3600fps.  So when I moved to the 100 yd line its about 8" high.  Does this sound very strange to you or am I just a crappy shot with the holosite.  With the same ammo I grouped less than an inch at 100yds but then it was 1" low at 50yds. (this is with the same ammo)

Any thoughts about why it would be sooo high witht the holosite?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#1]
It depend how you are setup. If your Holosight is much higher than the barrel that is what cause hitting high at 100 yd and being zero at 50 yd. If your sight is high from the barrel, the line of sight and the line from the bore cross at 50 yd (your zero) but the bore line will be much higher at 100 yd. You can figure that out just by tracing few lines on a piece of paper. Anyway, this why closer the sight is from the bore better it is.

Clovis
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Clovis:

Read the below:
[Did you mean the CLOSER TO THE BORE THE BETTER?]

Your last post:
It depend how you are setup. If your Holosight is much higher than the barrel that is what cause hitting high at 100 yd and being zero at 50 yd. If your sight is high from the barrel, the line of sight and the line from the bore cross at 50 yd (your zero) but the bore line will be much higher at 100 yd. You can figure that out just by tracing few lines on a piece of paper. Anyway, this why closer the sight is from the bore better it is.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes. Just imagine 2 lines. One coming out of the optic and the other coming out of the barrel. Start with them at 4 inches distance at 0 yard and they intercept each other at 50 yard.(if you are sight in at 50) At 100 yard the line coming from the barrel will be higher than the line coming out out the sight. And it is gonna go up until gravity start working on the bullet. This is why in all balistic program the height of the sight to the barrel is important for the calculation of the trajectory. In my case I prefer to sight my CAR at 200 yds. This way it is zero at 200, a bit high at 100 and a bit low at 50 but close enough for a good shot.
Bye,
Clovis
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help & info.  Doesn't everyone sight in their Red Dots at 50 yds? Any recommendations when useing a red dot as to having a target small enough to be covered by the dot but large enough to see well?  I had used a 6" black target & tried to center the red dot each time. Maybe I should just use  a 3" black dot to be covered by the red dot.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:48:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
 Doesn't everyone sight in their Red Dots at 50 yds?
View Quote

Most of us do.  Then again most of us have the sights so their center is 2.5" higher then the cneter of the bore.

Any recommendations when useing a red dot as to having a target small enough to be covered by the dot but large enough to see well?  I had used a 6" black target & tried to center the red dot each time.
View Quote
That sounds fine.  One of my favorites is the 50yard Zeroing target (scaled up version of the Military 25M zeroing target).  The circle in the middle is 3moa - I just look for equal black on all sides (particularly the top and bottom).

But you should not be hitting 8" high at 100 yards if you are zeroed at 50 yards.  Even if you mounted the Holosight on top of the carry handle I can't see the group higher than 4" to 5" (the height of the optic over the bore).

Are you using a bipod or rifle rest when shooting at 100 yards?  Did you use it when you shot at 50 yards (while zeroing)?

Did you use a tight sling to zero at 50 yards - but not use it (or use it loosely) when shooting at 100 yards?

Either of those conditions can cause barrel movement and cause the kind of results you are seeing.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#6]
The red dot is centered above the bottom of the mount is only 2".  Again this may be that I'm just not consistantly holding in the center of the target.  I shoot off a rest, hand under the sandbag, supporting rifle.

With a 2X7X32 Nikon scope the Winchester factory load was an inch low at 50 but dead on at 100 yds. Again it grouped less than an inch at 100 yds with the scope.  I bought some Rem. 55 gr. SP today & will see how it does in the morning.  I like the holosite and expect to shoot at less than 100 yds so who needs the scope for that-right.  I'll let you know when I get back from the range how it does. Will also shoot some 5.56MM M193 for comparison.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 3:27:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Well after trying out a smaller black dor to aim at (actually covered it with the red, the rifle hit dead on at 100 yds & was dead on at 50 also.  It was just me not having the same holding (aiming point). Anyway the M193 shot terrific & to the same point of aim as the Remington PSP 55gr.-can't beat that. My groups were actually smaller with the M193 55 gr. than the Rem.  PROBLEM SOLVED!  Thanks for everyones help.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top