Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/14/2003 8:32:57 AM EDT
Just thought about it. Let say the batteries of your Aimpoint or Eotech are dead. Or the electronics inside them have fail. You are stuck with a no reticule optic. My question is: Is it still possible to aim at a target and having a chance to hit it. To simplify the question I supposed that the eye is centered to the scope in is ideal position. For the Aimpoint I suppose that if you align the target in the center of the field of view it is a hit. What about the Eotech? I know yhat iron sight are a backup, but lets ignore them.
Clovis
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:38:15 AM EDT
[#1]
thats what BUIS's are for
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:27:31 AM EDT
[#2]
... and why I like them up all the time.  With the M68 CCO you just adjust your head 1/4" and shoot with the irons, still looking thru the optic.  

If the sight is damaged discard it, that's why the Army uses the Quick Release mount rather than one with a lever which you can't work with gloves.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:25:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Pat Rogers from Gunsite maintains that the Aimpoints body can be used for as a psuedo-ghost ring for close range shots should the sight not be working when a threat is close.

Never tried it, but Ive got some range time this week and plan on testing the theory out.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:59:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Lumpy196. I am curious to see what kind of result you gonna get. I would like to see similar test run with an Eotech. I know that BUIS are supposed to be there for that situation. But in certain "condition" it may not be possible to remove the optic fast enough and/or it may be to dark to use co-witness sight.
Clovis
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:07:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to jump in here but Chuck what "quick release" mount are you refering to instead of the lever.  I was planning on getting the ARMS and doesnt it have a lever.  Sorry if my verbage is confusing.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#6]
The standard issue mount with the Army M68 CCO is the Aimpoint Quick Release (Rail Grabber) Mount.  Has a torsion knob on the left side.  Click it twice when you mount it.

Many folks don't like the knob sticking out, but the sight can be mounted/dismounted without trying to remove your gloves.  The levers on the ARMS mount are more streamlined, but are a PITA to get at to remove the sight.

Both are excellent mounts, you just need to make a choice.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#7]
The throw lever onthe 22M68 from ARMS are in heavy military service and very easy to get off faster than the knob with or without gloves.
Jack
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:45:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks Lumpy196. I am curious to see what kind of result you gonna get. I would like to see similar test run with an Eotech. I know that BUIS are supposed to be there for that situation. But in certain "condition" it may not be possible to remove the optic fast enough and/or it may be to dark to use co-witness sight.
Clovis
View Quote

You don't need to remove the optic if you are cowitnessed.  If it is dark, that's why you should have a weapon mounted light.  If the glass on the optic is shattered in such a way that the irons can't be used, the situation seems pretty bad, so point shooting using the optic body as a reference is probably the only way to go.  Then transition to your sidearm

You're talking about a worst case scenario in which every tool you have has failed.  At that point, point shoot the nearest targets, try and get as much distance between you and farther targets.  Find some cover and get your optic off so you can use the irons and/or high tAil it out of the area as soon as possible.  If you can't then I suspect you will do whatever you have to do to survive.  You should have a number of back ups from irons and lights to your sidearm and knife to your bare hands and sheer willpower.  If those aren't enough, well...
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 3:37:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Knightone for this tactical lesson. In your answer you are actually clarifying my original question. What kind of precision can we expect when using an Aimpoint or an Eotech as point and shoot device if their reticule are dead. This is just talking for talking and in no case I am refering in real scenario possibility. I was just thinking about a course for my next rifle match.
Clovis
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top