Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/9/2003 4:14:32 AM EDT
I just got a TA11c and am very satisfied with it.  Thanks to everybody here and their helpful ACOG advice.

Anyway, I was wondering what out there is in the same league as the ACOG?  I am not so quite well versed as some of you in the tactical optic world.  I am familiar with the Leupold CBQ 1-3x sight and Aimpoint 2x sights.  I have seen enough to realize that they are not even in the same universe as the ACOG.  It seems that Trijicon has the market, so I would have to think that somebody is burning the midnight oil to make something as good or better, right?

What are the Europeans doing?  Do they have any tactical optics on the market?  I did see a picture of a Zeiss red-dot.  Is that even made by Zeiss?

Are there any innovative concepts coming out of Asia, rifle or tactical optic wise?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:40:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:29:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Right....Forgot about that ELCAN sight.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:49:09 AM EDT
[#3]
The closest thing I can think of is the USO SN4 with the circle dot reticle.  It has a wider FOV than an Aimpoint at 1x setting, and the resolution is supposed to be better than ACOG, but while I had mine I really couldn't tell the difference with naked eyes.  It's big, heavy and built like a tank, if you use the USO posa lock and slide ring base you'd be hard pressed to find a BUIS that will work with this combo.
I love the quality, but I regretted not getting a TA31 instead, which I eventually did and traded in the SN4 for an SN3.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:01:40 PM EDT
[#5]
IOR has a 1-4X scope with a CQB reticle that might compete with the ACOG. I have only seen pics of it so far but it does sound interesting.

If I were a design guy at any of the mainline optics companies, I'd be working hard on a compact, variable magnification combat scope. The market would seem to be great for such an item.

I don't see any reason for Trijicon's outrageous prices except they have cornered the market. Maybe that will soon change. Let's hope so.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#7]
ayuh...

can't beat that ACOG...
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:15:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Just for discussion (notice the tag line [;)]
What are the strong points that make the ACOGs "better" than the Elcan (external adjustments) or any other low power high end optics such as the  [URL=http://www.usoptics.com/usSN4.htm]USO SN4[/url] scope) for use on "Black Rifles" (be it matches or real life).[List][*][b]Postive Features of ACOGs[/b][/*]
[*]Damn fine resolution[/*]
[*]Compact Size[/*]
[*]Well Built [i](at least by looks ... as have not done any destructive testing myself)[/i][/*]
[*]Good to great field of view - for the power range[/*]
[*]Bullet drop comp for .223 or .308[/*]
[*]BAC for close range[/*]
[*]Fast / bright aiming point for BAC models[i][green](this is the high point for me)[/i][/green][/*]
[*]Aiming point adjusts for the light conditions[/*]
[*]No wash out of the aiming point[/*]
[*]Works in the dark[/*]

[*][b]Limits of ACOGs[/b][/*]
[*]Limited eyerelief [i](enough but none too much for my taste)[/i][/*]
[*]Limited field of view compared to X1 to X1.5 scopes or red dots[/*]
[*]Fixed power (again not a big issue with the BAC aiming, however, can always wish)[/*]
[*]While dreaming, how about changing the aiming point (i.e. two sets of fiber optics so you can have a large donut or chevron with a switch)[/*]
[/list]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:53:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I've handled a C-more variable power 1-5 with a mechanical BDC.  Looked to be real rugged, great resolution and light gathering.  I was real tempted to get one.  Anybody seen one of those yet?  That 1-5X really intrigued me due to the CQB/Fine shooting ability.

Edited to add:  It had a Ilum donut.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top