Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/27/2003 3:53:57 PM EDT
I'm looking around for a rear sight for my A3 flat top.  Many of you have good things to say about the ARMS #40 unit.  Any of you have experience with the DPMS #FT-RS?  I'd be interested in your evaluations of fit, reliability, function and strength.  And thanks in advance for your help.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the #40 has already been more than overwhelmingly recomended, and the reasons why.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:25:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Again thanks for the ARMS #40 plug, but I'd really like to hear from folks that are using the DPMS sight to come up with an informed conclusion.  Thanks again, and shoot straight.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Since I guess there isn't much interest to respond so far, I do know there were some complaints for various things not working right.
Jack
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 10:56:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the LMT rear sight is probably the best and most robust thing going.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Will you be using your rear sight with any type optics and if so which one(s)?

Some of the Knights products are a little lower than the ARMs #40 to fit under the scope.

However, with the KAC 300 meter sight you get one distance to zero your sight compared to the ARMs #40 havign two and a half (I only count the little notch for 500 meters as a half).

The KAC 600 meter sight is adjustable for distnace (if you are shooting at under 300 yards not an isssue) but you loose the larger apperature, which is an issue under 50/100 yards for any type of faster shooting (be it matches in my case or real world tatical for the LEO and military).
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had both styles, and for my preference, it depends on what you're putting in front of or over it.

For a red-dot sight, I PERSONALLY (no flame if you like it the other way) prefer full function A2 style sight like the DPMS or even better, KKF chopped carry handle (never had an LMT).  The latter is more robust, gives you the choice of type of elevation wheel, and takes up less rail space.  Although I have wondered how a DPMS rear would fare if you cut off the forward half inch or so and made it a one-screw job...

I've had 2 DPMS rear sights.  On the first one, both screws were machined flat.  They did not interface with the slots in the rail so you could position it anywhere on the flat-top.  This latest one has both screws left intact and they each need a rail slot to fit in.  I wonder if those broken screws were the older style like my first one. Screws with half of their post shaved flat can't be that dependable.

Now if you're going to use a magnified optic, then fold-down is the only option.  I have only owned the #40, so I can't give opinions on any of the others.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top