Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/24/2003 7:40:22 PM EDT
I have read volumes but can not find the answer to this one question.

Say I just do not like the front post being in the middle of the sight's FOV and I do not want nor can afford a folding front sight.

If I were to use a SWAN sleeve or other rail on the flattop, under the EOTech, would that block the use of the SWAN's sight or a ARMS #40 or would it move it right down to the lower third of the FOV where I would really prefer it???

Thanks to all from whom I have gleaned MUCHO INFO from on this board!!!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:33:51 PM EDT
[#1]
That would place the irons probably right at the bottom edge of the Eotech's sight window, so there'd be no possibility of co-witness. Before you do that, though, try it out mounted on the receiver; I THOUGHT I'd prefer an un-cluttered sight picture when I had mine, but then later discovered that I preferred it before the installation of a folding front. Really, you just don't notice the irons that much.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 12:25:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree that you should try it before you go and buy any kind of riser.  Although I do not have the Eotech, I do have the OKO reflex sight mounted directly to the flattop.  The front sight post goes about halfway up the window and I thought it would be too intrusive before I took it to the range.

Once I got to the range, however, I barely noticed the sight post.  It seems your eyes will superimpose the dot on the target and your post will be so out of focus, you'll hardly notice its there.

Besides, if you don't like it, you can always biy the swan sleeve later
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:58:30 AM EDT
[#3]
As a not so fully thought out idea (OK, so don't shoot me if this won't work with an Eotech),  you might use some kind of quick detach mount for the Eotech which raises the sight above the irons.  Then, if it  breaks or you need irons - detach and go.

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:50:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like a possible mounting option on page 1 (~ 14th posting by Yojimbo
) of of the following [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=164971&w]Aimpoint vs Eotech tread[/url]

[img]http://a6.cpimg.com/image/70/D2/19917936-d7a4-02000180-.jpg[/img]Above photo "borrowed" from Yojimbo.

FiveO What type system are you putting the Eotech on?
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:37:36 AM EDT
[#5]
im gonna second(or third) the try it out first idea.
i felt the same way and assumed i would be buying a riser to bump my eotech up higher but you wont need it. natural training with the irons will have you shouldering the gun with the sights dot somewhere in the fork of the front sight. with both eyes open that area is almost not there and the rest of the fs tower is see-through.
i just went and tryed it out, and to get the dot to drift down into the meat of the fs post would have you shouldering the weapon with your eye socket where your cheek weld should be.
buy that eotech...youll love it. slap it on and try it out. after a day at the range you wouldnt put anything underneith it even if some one gave you one for free
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:10:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the wisdom, Gents!

I'm gonna go with it directly on the flat top and see if it works for me like it has for most of you. As stated I can always get a rail later if it proves to be a problem. The main consideration regarding that was that I would get the SWAN with integrated BUIS as opposed to a rail and separate #40. Anyway... Thanks for the advice. I'll take it.

I have a Plain Jane pre-ban XM-15 Shorty:

[img]http://www.gulftel.com/tnolfe/xm-15.jpg[/img]

She is going to BM next week for a nice haircut! Plain she will no longer be!

As of now I intend to go with an EOTech 551 with a ARMS #40 as a BUIS. I have had ONE HELL of a time deciding between the EOTech and the ML2... One hell of a time... Really the additional $100 for the Aimpoint's mount played the biggest role in the decision as I believe I'd be happy with both.

Samco M-44 or M-33 on the front with Ergo Grip covers or perhaps just a UFIR and a Tangodown vert grip. One of the new M-3X lights and an Israeli sling will wrap her up.

Intended use is as a patrol rifle, well Investigator's rifle but you get the point!

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Just like very one else I don't mind the front sight post at all. I think you will experience the same.  

But if you really don't like it, I think a flip-up front sight would be the way to go. Although it would cost more it would allow you to use the same cheek weld, which I think is important.

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I really can't add much to what everyone else already said but if you're using the EOTech with both eyes open and focusing on the target the front sight post just blurs out and you'll barely notice it.

Here's my carbine with a 552 forward mounted on a SIR 50.
[img]http://a5.cpimg.com/image/8F/99/23963535-d821-02000180-.jpg[/img]

The pic below shows how the front sight disappears when you're focused on the target.
[img]http://a2.cpimg.com/image/08/5B/20541192-1aa1-02000180-.jpg[/img]

This pic shows how the cowitness looks through the EOTech with the ARMS 40 raised. Note the camera is focusing on the front sight so the reticle looks blurry.
[img]http://a7.cpimg.com/image/B9/27/19904697-5581-02000180-.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I really can't add much to what everyone else already said but if you're using the EOTech with both eyes open and focusing on the target the front sight post just blurs out and you'll barely notice it.

Here's my carbine with a 552 forward mounted on a SIR 50.
[url]http://a5.cpimg.com/image/8F/99/23963535-d821-02000180-.jpg[/url]

The pic below shows how the front sight disappears when you're focused on the target.
[url]http://a2.cpimg.com/image/08/5B/20541192-1aa1-02000180-.jpg[/url]

This pic shows how the cowitness looks through the EOTech with the ARMS 40 raised. Note the camera is focusing on the front sight so the reticle looks blurry.
[url]http://a7.cpimg.com/image/B9/27/19904697-5581-02000180-.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Thanks! Excellent, descriptive pics! I now feel pretty confident about my pending purchase.

The expertise here never ceases to amaze me. How the hell did we ever get by without Forums?!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:16:09 PM EDT
[#10]
How the hell did we ever get by without Forums?!
View Quote
Well, one thing's for sure; we all had a lot more money in our pockets!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:12:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How the hell did we ever get by without Forums?!
View Quote
Well, one thing's for sure; we all had a lot more money in our pockets!
View Quote

So true![:D]  Without the forums I'd still be happily banging away on my Mini-14...[;)]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#12]
A little late to this thread BUT had to address the SWAN sleeve issue.   I had the SWAN sleeve #38 std which co-witnessed the irons perfectly through my Aimpoint.  When I got my EO-Tech, I discovered that when you flip up the rear sight, all you see is the back of the EO-Tech's control panel, since the sight window sits up taller than an Aimpoint.  I'm now using the EO-Tech mounted directly to the flat-top, with a GG&G MAD for a BUIS.  Works great, and I like the EO-Tech much better than the Aimpoint  (and WAY better than that ACOG Reflex II P.O.S. I tried before that!).
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A little late to this thread BUT had to address the SWAN sleeve issue.   I had the SWAN sleeve #38 std which co-witnessed the irons perfectly through my Aimpoint.  When I got my EO-Tech, I discovered that when you flip up the rear sight, all you see is the back of the EO-Tech's control panel, since the sight window sits up taller than an Aimpoint.
View Quote
That's because the ARMS #38 is basically just a #40 sight with an extended base that elevates anything mounted in front of it by 1/2 inch or so. The Eotech being designed to mount straight to the receiver rails is why it won't co-witness with a #38.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#14]
[Sprokets]I am as excited as a little girl![/Sprokets]

I placed my order with Grant last week. One #40 and one EOTech 551 en route! Shorty off at BM getting whacked! Should get the rifle back Friday or Monday.

I am $540 poorer but WTF, eh? Not too bad actually.

Hummm... RAS, TD Vert Grip, 6V SF... Mo' money  needed!

Will I post pics? I'd have to be banned to stop me!

[Sprokets]I am as excited as a little girl![/Sprokets]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Got my EOTech 551 and #40 from Grant today. Great advice, deal and service. Could not ask for more.

Y'all send him some of your $$! [:D]

Now just waiting to get my rifle back! [bounce]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top