Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2003 2:30:37 PM EDT
I have two Aimpoint CompM's, and both are marked CompM, but one of them has a brighter dot on the first three settings then the other.  So was curious if that one might be a CompML?
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:55:25 PM EDT
[#1]
the ml will have the brighter dot.  The L designation means for non night vision use.  The ones with no L therefore are for night vision use.  These are the same models that the comp m2 and ml2 were based on (after some improvements).
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 4:05:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, but are the CompML's marked CompM or are they marked CompML?  Both of mine are marked CompM.

thanks
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I have an ML2 that is marked M2, but that is not what you're asking.  The one you got from me is an M though [;)]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Ah, was wondering about another I got last week.  Same as the one you sent me, marked CompM, but the settings seem brighter.  I would have figured a CompML would be marked CompML, not CompM, that confused me.

BTW, the guy that sold this one to me did not say which it was, and it was a good deal either way.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 12:46:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Can you see any trace of a dot on the first setting? If so it is an ML. I have both an ML XD and a M2. I am toying with selling the ML as I could use the cash but kinda wanna keep it for my Galil project. WHY aimpoint had to go an make two differant models is beyond me. I know civilians don't need night vision seetings blah blah blah. Oh and on the subject of night vision use with an Aimpoint, I will say this though, my roomates ML2 works with night vision on the first setting. It does not "BLOOM OUT" like everyone said it would. The M2 just has one more dim setting (the first click) than the ML2 but so far I have been using the M2 (in front of a PVS 14) on the second setting (seems to be the same brightness setting as the first on the ML2) and I like it better. Anyway If it is marked M an not ML call aimpoint give em the seriel number and see what they say.

Peter
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:15:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I recall the CompML was marked

CompM_

The _ being added.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:21:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I tried both in the dark.  I could not see the dot with the first two settings with the CompM I got from bsbg.  The other one I could see the dot on all of the settings.

Thanks for the tip Chuck, it does have a dash after the M.  It is not engraved like the rest of the lettering, it looks like a dent, so I did not think any thing of it.

Another odd thing, to swith the CompM on you turn it clock wise, the CompML counter clock wise.  And just past the brightest setting on the CompML the dot goes out.

Thanks for the tips guys.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:05:37 AM EDT
[#8]
The "backwards" intensity settings are unique to the ML model, the milspec models go into NVD intensity when first turned on.  I'm not sure if all MLs work this way, but no Ms do.

The _ or - is a factory mark so they can tell the ML.  Not sure about the ML2 markings, I've never seen a ML2.

For the extra $30 go with the M or M2.  They seem to have less problems with fuzzy dots.

-- Chuck
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top