Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2003 8:23:29 AM EDT
Thanks for looking.  I have an RRA Varmint 16 with Eotech 552 on it right now.  This will work well for close-in work like in heavy timber.  However, for open country coyotes out to 250 yards I also want a nice scope (probably Leupold or similar). Also must not be REAL heavy as it will be a carry gun.  I would like to stay around $500 if possible.  It will have ARMS QD mounts for sure, but:

Illuminated reticle?
Mil-Dot?
2-7x, 3-9x, 4-12x,?
40mm, 50mm?
compact models?

What would/did you do?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#1]
When I'm using a caller, I like and use what you got, the EOTech on a RRA M4. Yotes are smart so I use a dead (fresh, sometimes w/ a string so I can move him) rabbit for them to see and like to get them close as possible.

As they're thicker flies up around the chicken-houses at the farm; sometimes they pour over the rise in a pack of 6 or 8. I wait till they get close and begin to get wary, then drop one with the best shot I can make, hopefully inside a 100 yards or closer, then the "red-dot" comes into its own as I like to go to town on the closest to the one I dropped as he's likely frozen for a split second. On occasion I hit him, but the rest are for sure gonna be "beating feet", so I have some fun with them.

Note: yotes invaribly circle around to come at ya from down-wind of the caller and bait, so keep that in mind, and be mindful of your back-ground, 'cus at times you can get carried away and ya don't want no rounds going off the reservation. There are other houses around the farm so this is a concern for me and I watch my set-up based on the wind and homes nearby (1/4 mi or so), but when set-ups right I have more fun shooting at the ones I miss than the one or, if I'm lucky, 2 that are downed. (and Dad complains about me starting wars [;)]

While a scope may get ya able to make the first shot at a further range, chances are it'll not be fast enough on target to have the further "fun".

Mike  
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#2]
250 yards is a long shot.  I'd say skip the mil-dots; they are not necessary as you should always be within your point blank range.

I like the big 50mm objectives, as a lot of shooting is done at dusk or night.  The extra light is helpful.

I find 7x is most useful during the day and 11x at night.

Leupolds Vari-XIIIs are good.  They are discontinuing that scope line so you might be able to find a good deal right now.  Leupolds are not the easiest scope to mount on an AR due to their extremely long eye relief.  I also have a Bushnell Elite 4200; it is slightly heavier than my Leupold, but brighter, clearer and a little cheaper.  The 2.5-10x50 or 4-16x50 would both be excellent coyote scopes.  I have also heard very good things about the Nikon Monarchs and Weaver Grand Slams, and they are both reasonably priced.  [url]www.swfa.com[/url] has good prices on the Bushnells, Nikons and Weavers.

I've never used an illuminated recticle, so I can not really comment on that.  It sounds like a good idea though.  SWFA had the Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x50 with illuminated recticle for $399.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Coyotes at 250 yds doesnt take much magnification.  If you are calling you will want something with low power and a wide field of view.  I used a 6.5-20 leupold on a custom 6-284, 22br, and 284 for coyotes.  The 6x is almost too much mag for calling. I usually call with a friend and one of us will  position downwind from the caller with both rifle and shotgun.  For a 200 to 300 yd. gun a variable would be nice if it were on the low end.  For a fixed p0wer I'd choose a 4x. If you are ever thinking about something small like a prarie dog , you'll have to bump up the magnification.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top