Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2003 3:47:39 PM EDT
I was using my FAR-15 to hunt deer last Saturday afternoon and was in the rain for about 4 hours. When the doe I had been hunting for several days finally passed within range I brought my rifle up and the darn sight was fogged up pretty bad. Luckily it still has the dot and with both eyes open I was able to place the shot properly. She dropped like a stone and was the biggest doe taken off of our farm this year so far.

Has anyone else had their Holo fog up in the rain? I can't imagine what would make it do that as a leak would probably just collect water inside but all this fog was on the inside.  Should I send this back or is it normal? I have the 1 MOA dot compact model.

Bob

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:02:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine fogged up last night when I was outside as well. It was raining but not hard. It cleared when I brought it inside. Not sure if its normal, but will return it if its not.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:29:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I re-read the manual and it says that it is purged and filled with nitrogen to prevent fogging. Mine will be going back as soon as deer season is over.

Thanks,

Bob
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:05:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Was the fog on the inside or the outside of the lens?  Fogging up on the outside (where you can wipe it off) is perfectly normal if you are in the cold and breath on the sight (or moving the rifle from a cold to warm environment).

If it fogged up internally then you have a problem.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:32:04 AM EDT
[#4]
The fog is in the inside. I always leave my rifles in the cool outside temps when hunting to avoid the fog up that is caused by temperature changes.

The sight really got wet and actually collected water on the lens. That would wipe away but the fog was internal. [:(]

Thanks,

Bob
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#5]
UPDATE:

They want 10.00 to send it in and determine if it is under warranty and if not, then how much to fix it. I sent mine off today. We will see how they do on service.

Bob
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Keep us advised on the CS.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I received my Holo Sight back from Bushnell. Turns out it was only a few months out of warranty. The sight was not repairable.

Get this: They replaced it for free. On the no-charge invoice it stated "Replaced for Good Will". I'll say! [:D]

I sent it out on the 26th and received it back today the 9th. Now THAT is great customer service.

Thank you Bushnell.

Bob

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#8]
That is WAY kewl!  I'll remember that in the future.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top