Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2003 9:49:50 AM EDT
I want to try a pair of Warne's 1" Maxima/Magnum quick detach AR15 rings and wanted input on which height ring to choose. Mounting a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44mm scope on a BM 20" VMatch rifle.

They have the 1" Xtra High 203LM ring that is .650" high, or the 1" Ultra High 204LM ring that is .935" high. I am leaning toward the .650" Xtra High rings, since I believe they are closer to the ARMS #22 High ring in height and they worked for me with a #38EX Swan Sleeve on the same BM 20" VMatch rifle before.

Can anyone share experience/thoughts on the choices?

Post here or email me at: [email protected]

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Your figures look odd as it looks like they're expressing the lift of the scope from the lowest point down to the mounting rail. ARMS states theirs from the center line of the scope downwards to the rail. As an example the ARMS #22H is published as 1.450 high and is a 30 mm mount.

A 44 mm scope is going to need 22 mm (plus a bit for the tube thickness say 1 mm) from the center line down to the the rail to clear. The first 15 mm is "in the ring" so you'll need another 7 mm of clearance making the 0.650" high ring enough with a bit left over for the lens cap to fit.

The 0.650" gives you 16.5 mm of lift so you'll have 9 mm or 0.35" under the bell of the scope.

On an AR-15 I like having the scope sit about 1.5 inches or 38 mm above the rail to sit about the same height as the iron sights - may be a bit lower. You'll be close enough to that to have the same cheek weld between iron and glass that you might not even notice.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Paul,

Thanks for the info and you're right, Warne expresses their height measurements from the bottom of the scope ring to the mounting rail. I appreciate the ARMS #22 measurements and your confirmation on the Xtra High rings. Couldn't find ARMS specs for their ring heights to compare.

Coupon goes out tomorrow to Warne with the letter requesting the Xtra High 203LM AR15 QD rings.

Thanks,
Clay
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top