Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/12/2003 6:15:33 PM EDT
Just curious, does shooting with reticle positioned on the different spots of the viewing surface change POI?

As for my new Eotech 552, I have mixed opinions about it. I've had Reflex II prior to EOTECH, and here is my opinion on Eotech 552.

-It is kinda annoying to have to turn on the sight, and it does not always comes on when button is pressed once. The button is rather small and I have to double tap it to make sure.
-Viewing glass is VERY clear. Though not much of an issue, reticle is little fuzzy especially at higher settings.
-It's obviously faster than any other sights I've tried, especially than the iron sights since I can leave both eyes open. It's like playing shooter PC game. Just point and shoot.
-Personally I think it's a better choice over Aimpoint for its smaller center dot.
-Other than difficult On/Off operations, which I think Eotech needs to improve upon, it's a great sight. To me X4 ACOG TA01NSN was bit too much, and too limited of use for me since I rarely need to shoot past 100 yards.
-For some reason I still have good memories about old ReflexII, despite of blue tint which had very clear reticle.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just curious, does shooting with reticle positioned on the different spots of the viewing surface change POI?
View Quote

Depends on where the reticle is positioned.  I find if you move the reticle left or right the point of impact will shift right or left (opposite of the reticle).

However if you move the reticule up or down there is no shift.

-It is kinda annoying to have to turn on the sight, and it does not always comes on when button is pressed once.
View Quote

Mine always activates on the first press.  The problem is if you're outside you might not see the reticle and you'll have to hit the ON button a couple more times to get it bright enough to see.  Indoors or at night the first press is usually sufficient.

since I can leave both eyes open.
View Quote

All 'red-dots' should be used with both eyes open - that includes Aimpoints and Reflex's.

-Personally I think it's a better choice over Aimpoint for its smaller center dot.
View Quote

Better for accuracy slower for speed (which is why there is that 65moa circle).

-For some reason I still have good memories about old ReflexII, despite of blue tint which had very clear reticle.
View Quote

I still have my Reflex (I don't plan on giving it up).  Always nice to have a batteryless backup.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends on where the reticle is positioned.  I find if you move the reticle left or right the point of impact will shift right or left (opposite of the reticle).
View Quote

So its not dead on no matter where its positioned?

Thats what I though the red dot was all about..

I always shoot my Eotech with the reticle shifted over to the left half of the window..  But if I line it up with the irons in the center, it still hits the same POI..  And if I shifted it over so the reticle is in the right half of the window, I'd expect it to hit the same POI..

I thought that on a "red dot" the dot stayed in the same place while your [i]view[/i] of the dot changed, not the position of the dot or the POI..

[>:/]
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:09:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:30:20 AM EDT
[#4]
oooohhhh ok... I guess i just keep thinking that I'm in a perfect world.. [spank]
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:35:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So its not dead on no matter where its positioned?
View Quote

As long as your close to the center there is not problem and you will be dead on.

As Troy pointed out its when you have the reticule at the edge where the problems really become noticable (and its really not an issue for CQB shooting).
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top