Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/10/2003 4:49:23 PM EDT
I tried searching this topic, but couldn't come up with much.

I am considering the #39 mount for my Bushy A2. I was not 100% clear on this, but I would imagine the iron sights are still usable with this mount?

I am considering one of the less expensive red-dots, something in the 30mm or 35mm range (Bushnell Trophy or Burris Speeddot). Will these sizes co-exist with the iron sights?(provided irons can be used).

Also, SWFA is usually my first choice for optics, but they do not carry this mount. Who would be a reputable retailer? I heard a lot of positive comments about MSTN.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 6:19:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 7:12:02 PM EDT
[#2]
The #39 was made to do exactly as you want and is the most stable out there with it's two pint attacment. It also has that brush breaker that keeps branches from geting wedged under it. You can co-witness any red dot depending on the mount, except the Eotech. No matter how good an optic is, the mounts make it stable or not.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#4]
True, and if you use one of the SPRING LOADED throw lever rings that deaden shock, there is no problem :) They do act much like shock absorbers in an automobile.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 9:50:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I used the ARMS #39 with Aimpoint M2 and it worked great.  I also used the M4 handguards, Bushmaster, but I had to file the top half.  I now am using the ARMS #51 and #22M68, and it also allows use of the irons.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 3:41:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I guess it also depends on your plans for the future.  I too originally had an #39 with an Aimpoint, but have now switched to a #51 to facilitate the mounting of a vertical forgrip and a Surefire light.  If you have even the slightest inclination of adding any other widgets to your rifle down the road, save your money and get a #51.  Other wise you’ll end up selling your #39 at a loss, like I did.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the insight. The rifle I intend to use the #39 with is the Bushy "standard" 20" A2. I intend to add a 30mm or larger red-dot as mentioned. I may add a sure-fire light in the future. In all likelyhood, the light will be mounted on the top level of the #39 or on the front sight with a clamp on weaver rails.

I would rather buy a 16" flat-top upper to trick-out with a bigger sure-fire, laser, Aimpoint, etc instead of hanging all that stuff on my 20" A2. Make sense?

steve
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 2:46:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I have asked about this PRI rail several times on this board, but I always manage to kill the thread in doing so.

Can anybody point me to a picture, and a place to buy this thing?
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#9]
[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=68298&c=500&z=1"][img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/068298.jpg[/img][/url]

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 4:37:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's a link to PRI's mount...only $5 cheaper than the ARMS mount?

[url]http://www.skdtac.com/item.asp?ItemID=SKD2103&PRICE=119.95&CategoryNum=50[/url]
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#12]
[b]Another option ... change uppers to a flat top.[/b]

I had at one time also decided on a ARMS #39 mount for a 20" lenght A2 sighted upper (was a HBAR ... but that is another thread).  Makes about as nice of setup as possible with the A2 upper, however, I ended up getting a flat top upper instead and changed uppers ... works much better plus was able to trade off the old A2 upper to cover part of the cost of folding BUIS:

#1 With any rail which mounts in the A2 channel, you have to look at your iron sights and optics through the channel of the ARMS #39, which is a smaller than the channel of stock A2 sight.

#2 One of the regulars here (who also likes Aimpoint sights ;-) pointed out that the red dot would be where you typically carry the 20" rifle and thus potentially in the way compared to a flatop mount for the Aimpoint.

Regards
John

Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:54:56 PM EDT
[#13]
The ARMS 39 mount is excellent.  I have one on a Bushy A2 carbine with one of the "crap" optics that everyone here bashes.  BTW, I have had ZERO problems with the inexpensive red dot.  The co-witness is outstanding and the redundancy of using the iron sights and the red dot without changing the shooting position is very nice.  If you want an A2 upper, the 39 is the best way to go to co-witness an optic.

Sarge
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top