Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2003 7:30:49 AM EDT
Ok, I know some of you have them now, so quit stalling and lets see some pics.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 10:42:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry mine is going back, tritium appears to be leaking. I've got a red luminescent band blocking most of the optic.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine is going back, too, after a range session so I have something to compare it to upon its return.  I also have the "ghost image" on the bottom left of the tube, but have no practical shooting experience w/ it yet.  I'll keep all posted.
So there you go; so far 2 who have them & 2 who are a bit disappointed in them.  These things were hyped up to the max, & then proceeded to be vaporware for better than 2 years after.  I'm still [i]trying[/i] to like it - it's an awesome concept, just not very well enginnered/executed IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:14:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:19:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks good. I want one on my CQB/House gun, but I am concerned about them with what I have been hearing from owners so far.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Do they just use a red dot or a recticle?  If so, what's it look like?

Digital
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 8:41:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Wait for the Military version. I wish I would have...

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Frog creek outfitters basically told me to bother Trijicon before pestering them.

I'm gonna call them tomorrow, if worst comes to worse I'll be out 39$ (restock fee) plus shipping if Trijicon can't help me.

I really do like the sight, If trijicon can get rid of that milky band on mine I'll be thrilled.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wait for the Military version. I wish I would have...

-Cap'n
View Quote

How's it gonna be different?

Digital
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Just called Trijicon, they said the red-band thing is normal and its the reflection of the reticule off the lens.

They said that the engineers are working on a fix for future versions but theres nothing I can do about it.

So it looks like I'm going to have to eat the Restock fee (40$) from the place I got it from.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So it looks like I'm going to have to eat the Restock fee (40$) from the place I got it from.
View Quote

Screw that.Put it on Ebay and I bet you'll get 100% of your money back.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where'd ya buy it, they're charging all of us a re-stock fee?  They may very well get a lot of business from ARFCom members, maybe they'll re-think that policy.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 5:52:22 PM EDT
[#13]
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid88/p4d75c2affb61886aba9e9177cb69fb8c/fa95311d.jpg[/img]

(in an #22TX30 ARMS throw lever mount on a #58-MOD SIR)
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:13:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
...I've got a red luminescent band blocking most of the optic.
View Quote

I also noticed this with my Tripower. I'll be calling Trijicon today, I guess. I have mounted and sighted in the optic. It has some good features, but the red wash is unacceptable.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 8:48:32 AM EDT
[#15]
DigitalPunk, the .mil version will have no muzzle side signature, and cleaner optics. A local gave me what I paid for mine (thank god). Now I'm going to invest in something a little better ;-)

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Frog Creek Outfitters just contacted me, they say that if I only opened the batteries they'll give me a full refund.

They don't intend to resell the unit, spoke to thier distributor and directly to trijicon. They sound madder about this then I am.

Just thought I'd inform you guys and give them the good PR they deserve.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Local store here had one, and I got to check it out at lunch. Definitely a big time ghost image in the lower left corner. Other than that, I REALLY like this thing. Really a great concept. If Trijicon can get the bugs worked out, I'll buy one.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Katana16j, glad it worked out. Good guys:1

Hawkeye, that's some endorsement coming from you.  Now they've got my attention.

Spider, that "Tri" co-witness on the lower rail of the #58MOD w/o a spacer?

I assumed it was going to work on the upper rail,like the M2.

Will it co-witness on the upper rail?

Thanks in advance,

\S2
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#19]
How can Trijicon eliminate the muzzle side light signature, but Aimpoint hasn't?

To those who know, has the muzzle side light signature of the Aimpoint caused any problems during military operations?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:49:35 AM EDT
[#20]
I bought  tripower & returned it the very next day. The exagerrated line through the middle of the reticle was horrible. You can't even hardly see the chevron because it is so small & if you are in a light room & point it in a dark room, you cannot see through the optic at all. The optic is a p.o.s in my opinion. The concept is great, but it does not work, I think if you took it into combat, it would be more of a hinderence than anything..You would be far better off with plain irons.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I bought  tripower & returned it the very next day. The exagerrated line through the middle of the reticle was horrible. You can't even hardly see the chevron because it is so small & if you are in a light room & point it in a dark room, you cannot see through the optic at all. The optic is a p.o.s in my opinion. The concept is great, but it does not work, I think if you took it into combat, it would be more of a hinderence than anything..You would be far better off with plain irons.
View Quote

The reason you cant see it when looking from a dark area into a light area is because it works the same way as a Reflex. Thats what the battery source is for. That way you only have to use the battery power if you are in that situation. As long as the ambient light in both areas is close to the same, your ok with just the tritium/fiberoptic power.

The ONLY problem I personally have with the Tri-Power, based on the one I looked at, is the ghost image in the lower left. If they can fix that, as I said before, I'll get one.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#22]
If you can't use the optic without the batteries, what is the point? Just get an Aimpoint, that's what I did. The new Aimpoints are a far superior optic at this point. I also do not like the plastic housing, maybe it is ok, but I am not use to it I guess.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#23]
You CAN use the optic without the batteries which is one of the things that have people wanting to like this opitic. However the fiber optic and tritium power sources are not powerful enough to light the reticle sufficiently when you are looking into a brightly lit area to a not so brightly lit area. In this specific instance, you will want the battery back up to power the reticle. In almost all other instances, the optic will work without being dependant upon batteries. So again, the Tri-Power will work without batteries, unlike the Aimpoint BTW.

Im not saying I think the TriPower is great or you chould go out and get one. I wanted one but will pass considering all the negative feedback. Should they fix these reported problems, I will want one for sure.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 8:41:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Tri power pic:

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid88/pcea89680eb8d6860d1fafc205e52e1d1/fa90c276.jpg[/img]

I know, I know, there's a smart ass in every crowd!
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
One of our "mules" that we exchanged an EOTech for the TriPower to evaluate.

[url]http://www.coalcreekarmory.com/images/firearms/octea.jpg[/url]

[url]http://www.coalcreekarmory.com/images/firearms/octeaclose.jpg[/url]

We've had this unit for a little bit now and haven't had any problems. We've also got a few in the case and on the EE for sale.
View Quote

I'm a bit confused.  How is that you guys aren't having any problems with the TriPower, but everyone else is complaining about 'a red luminescent band blocking most of the optic'?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#26]
CoalCreekArmory,

Are you seeing a luminescent band in the reticle as well. It is very hard to make a decision on this optic with so much conflicting information.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm a bit confused. How is that you guys aren't having any problems with the TriPower, but everyone else is complaining about 'a red luminescent band blocking most of the optic'?
View Quote

Perhaps this is why?

We've had this unit for a little bit now and haven't had any problems. We've also got a few in the case and on the EE for sale.
View Quote

[;)]

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 12:26:32 AM EDT
[#28]
What a let-down. I was really looking forward to that thing. I hope they fix it but I will probably go ahead and opt for an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:29:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The reason you cant see it when looking from a dark area into a light area is because it works the same way as a Reflex. Thats what the battery source is for. That way you only have to use the battery power if you are in that situation. As long as the ambient light in both areas is close to the same, your ok with just the tritium/fiberoptic power.
View Quote

Sounds good in theory. But I don't think I have an accurate crystal ball that can predict the dynamic lighting conditions that I might encounter on the fly. And I don't think I am interested in fiddlef**king with my optic when I need to be getting a sight picture ASAP.

If I need to use battery power to have a visible reticle, then I'm simply going to turn on the optic all the time. And in that case, I don't need the whiz-bang fiber optic, tritium, and chem light stick capabilities. And we've already established that the first two illumination sources are inadequate anyway. I don't think that I want to walk around with a chem light flagging my pos either. An Aimpoint M2 seems like a better way to go.

jvn
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds good in theory. But I don't think I have an accurate crystal ball that can predict the dynamic lighting conditions that I might encounter on the fly. And I don't think I am interested in fiddlef**king with my optic when I need to be getting a sight picture ASAP.

If I need to use battery power to have a visible reticle, then I'm simply going to turn on the optic all the time. And in that case, I don't need the whiz-bang fiber optic, tritium, and chem light stick capabilities. And we've already established that the first two illumination sources are inadequate anyway. I don't think that I want to walk around with a chem light flagging my pos either. An Aimpoint M2 seems like a better way to go.

jvn
View Quote

Would you please explain for me how the chem light on a tri-power will give away your position? I mean, its in a sealed tube. I am not exactly sure how the light is going to escape. Have you actually seen the size of the chem lights? They arent exactly huge even if they were exposed.
The first 2 sources of light work just fine for it. When you are outdoors, it works fine. Indoors it works fine. In the event that you are in a dark area and have to fire into a light area, it takes the simple push of one button to turn on. Lets not make it more complicated than it is.
I'll say it again. If they can fix the ghost image in it, I'll get one. It offers everything that my Aimpoints (which I LOVE) do, plus some things that my Aimpoints dont. Look at it from this standpoint. Use it just like and Aimpoint if you want, and have the power turned on all the time. At least you have the backup ability to keep using the sight under MOST circumstances due to the tritium, fiber optic, and chem light backups, should the battery go dead. Aimpoints dont have that.

No one on here should take MY word or anyones elses word on this optic or any other. Go check it out first hand if you can.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#31]
I-square N.V. will pick up a chem light like a christmas tree.
Jack
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:47:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Jack
View Quote

Of course. But not when its sealed in a tube. Or is there something about current NV that I am missing?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:01:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jack
View Quote

Of course. But not when its sealed in a tube. Or is there something about current NV that I am missing?
View Quote

is this tube blacked out except for the tips/ends?  even a little glow stands out big time. Glint tape looks like a search light when looking through NVG
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#34]
The Cyalume(sp?) tube is just a teeny tubular compartment, with a quarter or a half turn plug in one end for you to stick the light stick in.  I cannot imagine it letting any light out.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top