Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/9/2003 5:17:34 PM EDT
I have owned and used some Trijicon OEG sights in the past which are pretty compact but the dot has to be right dead center in the field of view to hit consistantly.

So I started looking at the Optima 2000 a while back until I heard some bad things about them.

I subsequently purchased an Aimpoint Comp ML that I have on my M4 and it is an excellent optic.  I have contemplated putting several on some of my subguns and shotguns, but I actually want to stay with something smaller.

The DrOptics dot sight looks like it is a good one but I have some questions.

Will the dot be on target even if it is off center in the "window"?  

It looks well made, is it?

None of the subguns or shotguns that I want to put these on currently have bases or rails, if I go with one base type for all, which one is best suited for it?

Thanks,
Mario_FAMOInc      

Link Posted: 11/9/2003 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know much about your mounting options but I can tell you the dot is the point of impact no matter where it apears in the "window"
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#2]
O.K., that's good.
I'm probably going to go with a Picatinny rail like below but I'm open to suggestions.
Mario
[img]http://users.zoominternet.net/~picplace/karlcover.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#3]
check with JP Enterprises. They make the Dr now but they call it the J-Point. They list a wide variety of mounting options.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, do you have a link?
Mario
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#5]
The J point and the Docter are not the same.  The J point is like the old tasco optima.  It is made of plastic -- the Docter is aluminum steel and glass.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, I definately want the more rugged sight.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a member named amphibian on the board (I think he is on tonight) I think he sells docters and Uzi mounts -- maybee other mounts as well.  He seems to know his docters.  Try IMing,  He'll help you out.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, amphibian has helped me in the past.
I tried to IM him, but his box is full.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 4:11:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm here!  I didn't get any notification that my IM was full but I cleaned it out anyway.
I have written up some of the differences between the Jpoint/Optima and the Docter on my website.
My Docter mounts for the Uzi family do NOT require you to buy a mount for the Docter since my mount is welded to the topcover and everything is then re-parkerized then molycoated black if requested.
My setup is the ONLY cowitnessing setup for the Uzi's.  
The setup by Joeblack is more versatile since it is a picatinny rail you can put anything you want on it.  
It is all preference.  To me, I want the same cheek weld that I would get with iron sights.  The way the Uzi was intended to be shot.  Only the Docter with my mount will do that since that is the lowest possible mount.  I also drill out the rear sight 200 M aperature for free for those that get topcovers from me.
I have done some other mounts for other guns that I do not mention on my site.  What are you looking for?
[url]http://www2.c3junkie.com:6721[/url]
[img]http://home.cfl.rr.com/c3stuff/uzi/docter_both.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#10]
amphibian,
Good job on the mount/base for the UZI.  I am still very pleased with my UZI extended mag release that I got from you.

I have been handling my UZI this evening and I have confirmed in my own mind that the co-witness is a good way to go.  I DO USE the sights when I shoot [:O] and opening the rear aperature is something that I need to do anyway to increase the field of view.  

That being said, the primary reason that I started looking at the DrOptic dot is because I want a dot on my Mossberg M-590 Mariner and M-590A1 14" SBS shotguns.  The Mariner is not drilled and tapped on top of the receiver, the '590A1 is, and sports ghost ring sights now.

Do you make any other mounts such as for the M-10/.45 and M-11/9mm subguns?

Thanks,
Mario_FAMOInc
[url]www.famoinc.com[/url]
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#11]
"Will the dot be on target even if it is off center in the "window"?"

I believe the term is parallax (correct me if I'm wrong) - aimpoints and trijicon optics are also parallax corrected. The dr optic site says that the sight  "eliminates parallax out to 40 yards".
Cheers

Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:26:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Mario, doing the Docter on a Mac/M11 would be easy but the only problem I see is that I would have to have access to the upper since it would have to have a mounting plate welded to it.
Yute, by design, the window of the Docter is not that wide to begin with.  Your head needs to be pretty much in the right place to start.  If you have a proper cheek weld, this is not an issue.  In smg matches, I have been in situations when I didn't have a solid cheek weld and it hits where the dot is.  Don't know if this helps you much.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:31:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Can someone shoot me a link to the guy who has the picatinny rail like in Mario_FAMOInc post.

amphibian
I believe you wrote Joeblack?

Link Posted: 11/12/2003 9:18:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Yep, its Joeblack.  Here is his email address:
[email protected]

Tell him Amphibian sent you!
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 1:38:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks, and I will!
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#16]
amphibian,
How about a nice low mount for those Mossy's?
Mario
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:13:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Mario,
I don't have a Mossberg.  I would need to look at one first.
Email me off line with all the details so I can look into it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 5:57:10 PM EDT
[#18]
mario,
  website for JP Enterprises is www.jprifles.com if you prefer the doctor sight the JP mounts will work for that too. as far as the mossberg they do a "melt-in" vent rib mount that is really slick. a lot of the top 3 gun shooters are putting these on their shotguns.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks csholtmeier, I went there and checked them out.  Nothing applies to the Mossy's.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
mario,
  website for JP Enterprises is www.jprifles.com if you prefer the doctor sight the JP mounts will work for that too. as far as the mossberg they do a "melt-in" vent rib mount that is really slick. a lot of the top 3 gun shooters are putting these on their shotguns.
View Quote

Sorry, wrong again.  The mounts are different for the Docter and the J Point.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:03:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
mario,
View Quote

Sorry, wrong again.  The mounts are different for the Docter and the J Point.
View Quote

inkaybee is correct.  
Optima\Firepoint\Jpoint are all the SAME.  Made by the same manufacturer in the UK and all PLASTIC.

Docter is different.  Uses different mounts and is much higher quality.  Glass, Brass, Stainless Steel and Aluminum.

[url]http://www.c3junkie.com[/url]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top