Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/6/2003 9:41:20 AM EDT
I recently picked up a magazine called COMBAT TACTICS.  It is published by guns and ammo and surefire.  In the back they describe the aimpoint comp m2 and then have a spot that says what makes it cool:

"Coming shortly, the new 10 year battery life version, an upgraded Aimpoint that is already in use by the Swedish army."

Has anyone heard anything about this or are they simply refering to the m2 on its lowest night vision setting?
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 10:30:16 AM EDT
[#1]
M2
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#2]
How old was this magazine at the barber shop again?  [;)]

The Comp M2 has been out close to 2 years.  The 10 year battery life is when set to the lowest NVD setting, there is no OFF position.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a totally new Aimpoint being used by the Swedish army. It is not the 3.5x model or the M2. I posted pics of the new Aimpoint many months ago.

[img]http://www.soldf.com/images/s_ak5d.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.sak-fv.org/markus/utrustning/2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 7:48:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the imput.  I thought that there might be something to it.  The magazine is new, I just bought it in a book  store about 5 days ago.  Is there any word if the new aimpoint will be released to the public?
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 11:38:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Gewehr3, with all due respect, I believe you are incorrect.

The Aimpoint in your first pic is clearly an M2.

The Aimpoint in your second pic is not the same as the one in the first, and it bears a striking resemblance to the ER3.5:

[url]www.hksystems.com.au/pages/aim/ER3.5.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#6]
NY Patriot,

To be honest the first pic maybe an M2. The new model may resemble the ER 3.5, but it is a completely different model. I posted the pics in haste.

Let me dig through my pics and find much better photos. My info comes from a man in Sweden. I have seen no mention of the new Aimpoint from anyone, but him.

From my understanding, the Swedish Mil-Spec Aimpoints have a a picatinny rail on the top of the sight, back up iron sights, protective lens filters, and a integral mounting system. The battery life is even longer than the current M2. He said it was indeed 10 years on average.

If you have access to the full search function, I posted much better pics around May 31 or early June of 2003.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 7:05:42 PM EDT
[#7]
The one in the lower pic, is indeed a new Aimpoint. However it has problems and I think they should have noticed how poorly the Elcan has done on the world market, not much except Canada and a few for US SAW's and M240's, and the low civ. sales compaired to A2 and Eotechs.  Why, well the (new?) Aimpoint has external controls, prone to failures do to no protection from dirt, etc, getting in, like the Elcan. The glass is great. The external controls add a lot of wt.
Jack  
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Tagged! Interesting stuff.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 4:33:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
He said it was indeed 10 years on average.

I'd think that the real story would be the time machine used to evaluate a 10 year average usage!
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The one in the lower pic, is indeed a new Aimpoint. However it has problems and I think they should have noticed how poorly the Elcan has done on the world market, not much except Canada and a few for US SAW's and M240's, and the low civ. sales compaired to A2 and Eotechs.  Why, well the (new?) Aimpoint has external controls, prone to failures do to no protection from dirt, etc, getting in, like the Elcan. The glass is great. The external controls add a lot of wt.
Jack  
View Quote

Looks like another potentially good sight and I am waiting to receive one for evaluation, then I'll decide.
But wait a minute, since Aimpoint doesn't use his throw levers it must be a piece of sh.t.
Thanks for your dick objectivity.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jack  
View Quote

But wait a minute, since Aimpoint doesn't use his throw levers it must be a piece of sh.t.
Thanks for your dick objectivity.
View Quote

Um, Junior, you might listen to him instead of talking shit you have no idea about.
I have been talking to Aimpoint about their new 3.5 scope and it is based on the Elcan mount. They are also having trouble with the mounts during testing, and thats the reason it has not come to market. The 1st ones are going to the Military with the civy units to follow.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#12]
hahaha, junior?  Doesn't know what he's talking about? Lt.Col. Lutz, USMC (retired), presently of Knights Armament, is one of the most knowledgeable people here, he and 3rdtk take time out of their busy schedule to interact with us, but I'm sure you already know that.  You may call me Junior and say I don't know what I'm talking about, that might have some truth.
Though for a change I don't fully agree with coldblue said about 3rdtk this time, as I think ARMS throw lever mount is one of the most brilliantly engineered yet simple mounts, I don't think anyone (KAC included) has come up with a QD mount as easy to use.  Thumb nuts, wing nuts, as good as they are it's still faster and easier to use the throw levers.
Also, though myself lacking real field experience, what 3rdtk said about external adjustments has been validated by many real world, battlefield experiences.
What optics do you know of that's a modern design that still uses scope mount adjusted windage and elevation?  ELCAN is one of them, and now Aimpoint too, it's a step backward IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I could see where an externaly adjusting mount on a Aimpoint would be good on a GPMG.  While the sight danced around on it's mount it could help give a "cone of fire".  Would be great on a area fire weapon.  The dot might look a little odd while it danced though.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Maybe you should learn a little respect DOA, especially from someone that has forgotten more than you know.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know if throw levers have been put on one or not, but the point is you don't know either and again you just have to attack your rival competiter with unfounded non sense, A-H.
Jack
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top