Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2003 9:15:57 PM EDT
Just a thought,....has anyone ever tried to figure this out.... I have no personal experiece with the eotechs but could you use the 6 oclock line in the outer ring to use as an aiming point at long distances? Has anyone figured out what distance that might be? I know that it would not be as precise as the moa dot but seems like it might work
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I did a quick (and very rough) guestimation, and the bottom of the circle would be "on" at around 425 yds, give or take. That's with a 14.5 inch barreled flattop carbine firing M193 ammo with the Eotech zeroed at 50yds.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 1:19:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the input, sounds somewhat useful,...anyone else have thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 7:01:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just a thought,....has anyone ever tried to figure this out.... I have no personal experiece with the eotechs but could you use the 6 oclock line in the outer ring to use as an aiming point at long distances? Has anyone figured out what distance that might be? I know that it would not be as precise as the moa dot but seems like it might work
View Quote

Never thought about it but it's a good observation.  You'd have to test it with your ammo/barrel combo to see what distance it is ON at but should work great if you have to take a long shot with you EoTech.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 7:09:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I did a quick (and very rough) guestimation, and the bottom of the circle would be "on" at around 425 yds, give or take. That's with a 14.5 inch barreled flattop carbine firing M193 ammo with the Eotech zeroed at 50yds.
View Quote

I don't think so.  Here is why.  The ring is 65MOA across, that means there is 32.5 moa from the dot to the bottom of the ring.

At 450 yards (with the conditions you gave - assumed near sea level) the round has only dropped 7.9 MOA (or 37.2").

At 100 yards the bottom of the circle is 32.5" (32.5 moa) low - at 450 yard its 146.25" low (32.5 moa).

I don't know if you can come up with a reasonable range where the bottom of the circle could be used as an aiming point.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 1:41:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I use the ring for close up work, and range estimate. I figure if I can bracket a human size target within the circle, the target is pretty much at 100 yards or from dot to outer hash mark is 200 yards.

EOTech had something with BDC build into the reticle, but it was too busy to make any good use of it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 1:25:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think so.  Here is why.  The ring is 65MOA across, that means there is 32.5 moa from the dot to the bottom of the ring.

At 450 yards (with the conditions you gave - assumed near sea level) the round has only dropped 7.9 MOA (or 37.2").

At 100 yards the bottom of the circle is 32.5" (32.5 moa) low - at 450 yard its 146.25" low (32.5 moa).

I don't know if you can come up with a reasonable range where the bottom of the circle could be used as an aiming point.
View Quote
You're exactly right! Well, what the hell; it was late. That's what I get for trying to do calculations while half-asleep.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top