Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2003 8:47:41 AM EDT
Are there any significant disadvantages to mounting a front sight on the RAS rail?  I'm thinking that when the barrel gets hot you will get POI shifts because the sight and barrel are not moving together when the barrel expands and contracts.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#1]
With the short sight radius, coupled with the fact that irons aren't all that precise anyway, I doubt you'd see much difference in POI wether firing through a cold or hot barrel. Not at practical ranges, anyway.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:47:13 PM EDT
[#2]
You're probably right.  I'm looking seriously at the Troy Industries sight.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 5:33:28 AM EDT
[#3]
How much are those troy industries sights? I emailed them when I ordered my brake and collar for the SPR but I have not heard anything back from them yet.

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 5:55:55 AM EDT
[#4]
$119 according to their site [url]www.troyind.com/Accessories/Accessories.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe I'm being a bit old-fashioned; but I don't see the point in free-floating the barrel to get all the crap off of it that changes point of impact and then moving your sight to the same rail that holds all that crap.

I guess with monolithic systems like LMT or near monolithic systems like URX it wouldn't be a major problem at most ranges iron sights are used; but I still like the front sight on the barrel.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top