Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/5/2003 7:49:09 AM EDT
I have a single piece scope mount that was suppose to be "return to zero" mounting.. It has two thumb screws that you tighten, and from reading on here I realize now that unless i tighten them the exact same every time it wont return to zero - its close but not perfect so far.. (this is a sample of the mount - brownells.com stock number 553-000-005 (in case the link didnt work)
  http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=8722&title=FLAT+TOP+SCOPE+MOUNT

Could the thumb screws be replaced wtih a lever like on the Warne (an others) rings?? The lever seems like it would alway return to the same tightness each time..

any comments, thoughts, suggestions??

thanks

Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:09:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never seen such a replacement for the screws.  I use the ARMS rings and am VERY happy with them.  Other rings with levers, like the Leupold ones, guaranty something very close to (but not exactly) the original zero.

I'd love to know if you find something though.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:20:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Replace the thumbnuts with 1/2" hex nuts and then you can use a 65 in/lb torque wrench to tighten the nuts to the same torque every time.  That is how it is done on most precision boltguns.  Below is a link to a good torque wrench.  I recommend that one because it torques in both directions so you can use the same wrench to tighten and loosen.  It's also small enough to throw in your range bag.

[url]http://www.premierreticles.com/catalog/index.php?file=catalog&action=catalog_productinfo&uid=5465&pi_id=72367&clist=0,47642,51201&PHPSESSID=eb3db14334d35cefd6720f186e8884d5[/url]

Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:52:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Personally I would go with either the ARMS or the Warne.
 Time for a story?  I have a Springfield 6.5-20x scope on my M15-A4 (T) held in Warne Ultra High QD rings.  The rifle was sighted in at 500 yards.  When I was working up loads for the .458 SOCOM I wanted some magnification a bit better than the EOTech and decided to use the Springfield.  To zero to 100 I put in 11.25 MOA down in the scope.  I took the scope off and it went right on the DPMS Lo-Pro upper without having to move the rings.  With a few clicks up and over it was sighted in with the .458 SOCOM and I did the load work up.  After I was done, I "undid" the clicks put in to zero the .458 SOCOM and put back in the 11.25 MOA elevation and remounted the scope on the M15.  With my strike mark at 11.25" above the aiming point, my fist shot was dead center where it was supposed to be.  OK, zeroed for 500 AT 100, but is it still really zeroed at 500?  Back at the 500 yard line I shot a 5 shot group.  Of course I could not see where I hit even through the spotting scope so back to the impact area to check results.  Dead on.  The scope and rings went right back to zero after all that buggering around.  Just one more reason I am sold on Warne rings.  I've used them for years on many different guns, but this was the most severe test yet and they passed, as did the scope, with flying colors.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 9:03:57 AM EDT
[#4]
before you buy anything.  try tightening the factory nuts down and marking the side of the nuts.  then tighten it to that index point and see if it is on zero.  if not i would go with arms rings.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 9:20:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the advise.. I hadnt thought of using a torgue wrench or marking the nuts...

Looking back now I should have probably gotten a set of ARMS (or other brand) of lever rings.

I only pd $50 for this set up and it comes back close each time (im within 3 to 4" at 100 yds). I also hardly ever take the scope off, but at times i like to play with the carry handle..

My set up also doesnt have the stud on the bottom to keep it from shifting on the mounting area like the Armalite similar mount..

thanks for the feedback and Im going to look for a replacement lever..
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 3:24:12 AM EDT
[#6]
After reading the topics, Where would be the best place to purchase ARM's rings?

Thank you
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 3:35:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I buy all mine from Wes and Paul at [url=http://www.mstn.biz]MSTN[/url].
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top