Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/29/2003 5:43:25 AM EDT
I am picking up an Aimpoint or Tripower & would like to co-witness with my BUIS. I want to use the Arms throw lever mount on either one. I will be mounting it to a Colt flat top. My question is, do I need a spacer to properly cowitness, or is the mount set at the proper height. I will be using an ARMS # 40 or  GG&G MAD as a backup.
Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 6:09:16 AM EDT
[#1]
The proper mounting height for a TriPower will be the same as an Aimpoint.  So I think that someone will repond here soon.  Do you have a SIR or a swan sleeve?  I know that the low mount is really only for mounting on like a RAS II bump.  I would say that you need a full or half spacer.  Cost really isn't an issue, they are only like $15 a piece.  Full or half is more an issue of personal preference in how you like your irons to cowitness.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I will just be mounting it on a flat top. I do have a FF M4 RAS on it, but I really didn't want the optic that far forward. Trijicon lists 2 different spacers on their website, I just did not know if I needed a spacer or not.
[url]www.trijicon-inc.com[/url]
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 12:19:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for your help Troy. I have one more question. Why do people use cantiliver mounts, it seems to put the optic too far away to me. I am interested to know the reason why you would want that.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 6:26:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Some folks insist on having the optic farther out over the forend for a better field of view.  Having a cantilever mount or spacer will do this for those who have standard handguards or for those who feel the RAS or other rail forend is not solid enough to retain zero.

Other folks want the optic on the reciever so as not to worry about zero loss.  The end of the upper reciever is plenty far and it really all boils down to personal preference.  Find what you like and shoot well with and go for it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Other reason to put the Aimpoint foward is to make room for the nigh vision ... unless you have googles (I wish).
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:20:16 AM EDT
[#8]
That is some good info Troy, thanks. Hey one other question, If I had an A2 upper with a free float RAS mounted on it, would an Aimpoint or Tripower be too far away mounted on the handguard forward of the carry handle?
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Troy..I appreciate it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top