Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2003 7:13:20 PM EDT
I am evaluating several optic choices.

Hard to do without actually checking them out on a rifle.

From your collective experiences, would a lower profile be better?  I would think that keeping the sight height down would reduce impact potential and damage, even with rubber coating.

Am I overanalyzing this??

Thanks guys.
Mike

p.s. This will be mounted on a flattop w/an ARMS 38.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Once you do try a few on your rifle(s), you'll realize why all AR-type optics are designed to center the reticle in about the same spot (which is ~1.5").  All other things being equal, wouldn't you want a standard, comfortable cheekweld whilst you're shooting?
The military has been using roughly the same "profile" as tactically/logistically possible for years, & I can assure you all those milspec sighting devices were rather ergonomically/optically designed w/ the shooter in mind.  
(Yes, you're overanalyzing this, methinks.)
The ARMS #38 already raises your platform ~.5", by the way.  So how low can you go?
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 5:18:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
(which is ~1.5")
View Quote

Close - its ~[b]2.5"[/b].
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top