Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2003 1:12:09 PM EDT
I was considering one of these for 3 Gun shooting.  Impactguns.com has them on sale for $1469 (or close to this amount).  Do you get that much of an advantage over the 4x TAO1NSN?
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never shot with one. I have seen and played with a few that were mounted on some AR replicas. I would like to have gotten one for a new rifle I am building, but I dont have that much right now. The TA55 has the BAC feature which is a great advantage over the non BAC TAO1nsn. I think you will appreciate the advantages of a BAC model ACOG over one that does not have that feature. In which case I think you might like the TA31f just as well. It has a similar reticle to the TA55, it has the BAC like the TA55, it has 4x like the TAO1 series, which is only 1.5x less than the TA55, it is 1/3 the size of the TA55 and probably half the weight. Basically, unless you feel like you really need that extra 1.5x, I think the TA31 series will do you just fine. And you should be able to find them here for less than $900.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you can do way better than the $1469 you mention.

The TA55 is pretty big and heavy, more suited to a bench rifle than an action rifle.  Most 3 gun shooters seem to gravitate to the TA11, or a conventional 1-4x scope plus a red dot, which you can get for less.  Looks kind of funny with 2 optics on the rifle though...
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#4]
IMHO - the 55 is a scope without a gun (purpose). The gain in mag means nada for functional shooting of the 5.56 and still leaves one short for what a 7.62 can do. It is too much optic for anything in close and the sacrifice of FOV is a bad trade for the extra 1.5 x.

Like I said.

IMHO

Good luck
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#5]
First off check with [url]adcofirearms.com[/url] or [url]csgunworks.com[/url] for better pricing on the TA55.  I believe csgunworks gives a 5% discount to members and it’s free to sign up.  $1469 is way too high.  I was a lucky SOB and got my TA55 new for $850 so that really helped me decide.  I haven’t been able to use it very much so far, but I’m very happy with it.  The eye relief is just under a TA11.  Like other models the chevron is good for precision shots and you still have the BAC for close in work.  The FOV is good and the light gathering abilities are great and you get 5.5 magnification over 4.  Now yes it’s big and heavy, but I have it on my SPR MOD 0 upper and it looks and works fine for me, YMMV.  It’s not for a CQB carbine.  IMHO, if you’re looking at the TA55 vs. NSN I would go with either the TA31 or TA11 series.  TA55 vs. NSN is kinda like apples to oranges.  While TA55 vs. TA31/TA11 is more apples to apples.  I like the TA55 for the weapon system it’s on, but I also have a TA31 and a NSN w/Dr. optic for others.    

Ray
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#6]
The TA-31 would be a much better way to go. If you find that you don't like the limited eye relief and exit pupil of the TA-31 get the TA-11, You go from 4x to 3.5x and lose a little field of view along with gain some size but you get 40% more eye relief and more exit pupil. Basicly the TA-11 is more forgiving as to where you place your head.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 5:49:20 AM EDT
[#7]
What about putting one on a flat top AR10?  The website shows a 7.62 BDC recticle available.  I figured that it would be a great combination for a 7.62 gun with the out to 800 ladder.  Yeah, I agree though, what is the point of putting one on a 5.56?  I would just use a TA31.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 8:53:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I also thought this would be the perfect optic for an AR10 carbine, albeit cost prohibitive.
I'm anxiously awaiting Corvette's range report.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#9]
So is Corvette...  [:D]

Corvette
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top