Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/26/2003 3:58:26 PM EDT

I have a flat top with flat top gas block also ...I use a aimpoint with arms throw lever mounts but would like buis...I am leaning toward the arms #40 but what about the front sight... I want it to fold down when not in use..what is out there and is it compatable with the #40 or should I go with the ggg front and back....I am not interested in co-witnessing and would just take the aimpoint off when using the iron sights...thanks
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:56:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Bushmaster makes a decent flip up front sight.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Personally, I think that the ARMS #40 is the best rear BUIS, followed closely by GGG MAD.

Hands down best front flip-up is GGG.  Forget Bushmaster, IMO.

I got mine from [url]www.adcofirearms.com[/url].

Great prices, personal service, expert advice, the very best products, and $4 flat-rate shipping.
What more could an AR-addict ask for?

Link Posted: 10/26/2003 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#3]
#40, period. The front fold down from PRI is the one that Spec OPS chose, and my recomendation. Both the #40 rear, and PRI front are both mil spec, so ht. is compatible for the militaty, and thus you.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#4]
He asked for a front flip for a railed gas block, not what to replace the gas block with, which you would have to do if you wanted the PRI.  Just get the GG&G flip front for gas blocks with rails.  My armalite came with a nice sight tower that attaches to the F/T gas block with screws - but I replaced it with the GG&G cause I didn't want to have to carry around the sight tower when I had it removed.

Pass on the Bushy BMAS front.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 4:15:16 AM EDT
[#5]
What about the CAT front flip up by DPMS?  It is  a spring-loaded front flip up that locks in solid.  They have two different positions on the front sight for elevation.  I know where I can get them for $85.  The back sights are neat too and I can also get them for $85.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 10:34:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hands down best front flip-up is GGG.  Forget Bushmaster, IMO.
View Quote

I've never handled a [url=http://www.gggaz.com/products/ffsdgb.php]GG&G flip up for dove tailed gas block[/url] sight
[img]http://www.gggaz.com/images/ar-10mad/group02.jpg[/img]
but I do have the [url=http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/bmas/yhm-9371k.asp]bushmaster[/url].  
[img]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/bmas/Images/yhm-9371k.jpg[/img]

I assume from your comment that you've personally held both in your hands and examined them.  Please give more details as to why the GG&G sight is better than the bushmaster.

I'd never even heard of the CAT by DPMS before.  Looks interesting.  Very beefy.
[img]http://www.cmmginc.com/cmmg_images/tbl_images/accessories_images/CAT_Front_Flip_Sight_Up.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.cmmginc.com/cmmg_images/tbl_images/accessories_images/CAT_Front_Flip_Sight.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 11:01:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the Bushmaster Modular model and it comes with the Bushmaster flip up front and rear sights. The rear looks very much like the Arms#40. The front works great and I would reccommend it to anybody.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#8]
DPG,

I own both GGG and Bushy front sights.  The bushy is in my 'junk/spare parts box', I have two GGGs in use.

One difference is that the GGG is configured such that when folded down, the top of the sight does not protrude beyond the actual sight base.  With the Bushy, I had to mount it 'backwards' (so that it folds forwards) to avoid interference with my FF tube.

The other difference is less objective.  The GGG stuff just feels more 'solid', better built.  It's one of those things that's hard to describe without actually handling them.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2003 1:38:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
DPG,

I own both GGG and Bushy front sights.  The bushy is in my 'junk/spare parts box', I have two GGGs in use.

One difference is that the GGG is configured such that when folded down, the top of the sight does not protrude beyond the actual sight base.  With the Bushy, I had to mount it 'backwards' (so that it folds forwards) to avoid interference with my FF tube.

The other difference is more objective.  The GGG stuff just feels more 'solid', better built.  It's one of those things that's hard to describe without actually handling them.  
View Quote

I had the same comments, and have handled both which is why I didn't buy the Bushy unit, and did so because of the very same reasons Slash mentioned.  You simply have to handle both to appreciate the difference.  The BMAS front BUIS, IMO, is in the same boat when compared to the GG&G, KAC, or ARMS unit (features aside).  The quality of the BMAS units, while not shabby, just don't seem to subjectively equal that of the other units.  However, I point out that is subjective.  Others I know who have handled all the units share the same opinion.  Part of that is why the price is so different between the units.  I sold off my other BMAS accessories as well - they were nice, but I found nicer replacements.  Yankee Hill Manufacturing (YHM) actually makes those pieces for Bushmaster, and they do fairly good work, I think it's a matter of design that separates them from the rest essentially.

You may be well serviced by the BMAS units, but there are better units out there - it's a matter of price and preference.

I have NO experience with the DPMS unit, looks nice enough though.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
With the Bushy, I had to mount it 'backwards' (so that it folds forwards) to avoid interference with my FF tube.
View Quote

How odd.  I think it's on Bushmaster's 25 anniversary edition and it's on my DPMS with a FIRSH and it folds to the rear clearing the tube just fine.  Hmmmmm . . .
[img]http://members.cox.net/daphotoguy/DPMS_Q.jpg[/img]
Oh well, to each their own.  I just don't like people making statements with no "factual" data to back it up.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 5:30:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Like BUIS/BMAS, all gas blocks are not created equal.  Some are longer, some are shorter.  The BMAS doesn't fit properly on my ArmaLite, nor on another gun with a Smith Enterprises gas block.

If you're happy with the Bushy sights, great.  For me, I feel that there are better sights (better design & better quality), and the Bushys don't 'belong' on my weapons.

My remarks are not based on anecdotal evidence.  I have first-hand experience with the BMAS, and I'm just not impressed.
YMMV
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Like BUIS/BMAS, all gas blocks are not created equal.  Some are longer, some are shorter.  The BMAS doesn't fit properly on my ArmaLite, nor on another gun with a Smith Enterprises gas block.

If you're happy with the Bushy sights, great.  For me, I feel that there are better sights (better design & better quality), and the Bushys don't 'belong' on my weapons.

My remarks are not based on anecdotal evidence.  I have first-hand experience with the BMAS, and I'm just not impressed.
YMMV
View Quote

Actually, I'd LOVE to get the PRI, but they don't make it in .936"  [:(]
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#13]
[url=http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1674&title=AR-15+FOLD+DOWN+FRONT+SIGHT]FULTON ARMORY[/url] sells a flip up front that is identical to the bushmaster only a different finish.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 6:39:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I talked to GGG the other day. They told me that they will have a new dovetail front flip up out with a locking detent. It will be for sale around Thanksgiving.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top