Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2003 8:47:54 PM EDT
I just got my ARMS 51 and mounted it to my Bushy A2.  Everything went well until I looked at the handguard cap.  The 9 o'clock edge was rubbing on the leading edge of teh SIR.  I then tried mounting the 51 on another bushy a2, and found that it rubs as well.  I had an arms 39 before and it was slightly misaligned.  I want to know if this is a problem with bushmaster A2's or ARMS.  I know that ARMS is really good stuff.  Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:01:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I really dont know. I have only used a #51 on one rifle I've built. It was a Bushmaster... and it went right on with ease. Im sorry I dont have any more useful information for you.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:12:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just got my ARMS 51 and mounted it to my Bushy A2.  Everything went well until I looked at the handguard cap.  The 9 o'clock edge was rubbing on the leading edge of teh SIR.  I then tried mounting the 51 on another bushy a2, and found that it rubs as well.  I had an arms 39 before and it was slightly misaligned.  I want to know if this is a problem with bushmaster A2's or ARMS.  I know that ARMS is really good stuff.  Thanks for any help.
View Quote

I had the exact same problem with my #51.

I ended up relieving the left side, inner edge of the front tip of the SIR, the plastic 90 degree edge below it, then applying several taps of a brass punch to the edge of the handguard cap that it was in contact with.

I also did some work on the clamp that goes around the front of the carry handle.  What I had determined was when the screw securing the clamp was tightened, the SIR moved to the right, causing the left front edge contact.

When I get the chance I'll take pics of the front edge modification and post them.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:14:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I had the exact same problem with my #51.

I ended up relieving the left side, inner edge of the front tip of the SIR, the plastic 90 degree edge below it, then applying several taps of a brass punch to the edge of the handguard cap that it was in contact with.

I also did some work on the clamp that goes around the front of the carry handle.  What I had determined was when the screw securing the clamp was tightened, the SIR moved to the right, causing the front edge contact.

When I get the chance I'll take pics of the front edge modication and post them.

Chris
View Quote

I forgot to add that my AR is also a Bushmaster (HBAR).

Chris
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a similar experience on a newer Bushy barrel, but with the RAS-II.  Both the 3 and 9 o'clock sides of the handguard cap were touching the front of the RAS.  

It was very minimal, but enough to bug me.  You couldn't fit a sheet of paper in between the pieces, but if you held the RAS in one hand, and held the barrel with the other, you could still flex it a little.  I took the RAS off and got a Dremel tool, making a few quick passes on the edge of the handguard cap.  Just enough so when installed, you could now see a little light shining through the space between the pieces.    
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#5]
If you watch the end of the SIR when tightening the cross bar, you might see that it moves if you over tighten the front thumb nut. Suggest loosening it and help it back to where it wanted to be before the overtightening that most likely caused the mis algnment happened.
Just an educated guess, and a little experience. The inside of all the various carry handles vary greatly since none are machined to any mil spec.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:43:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the help.  I just bent the HG cap so that the SIR would clear.  I can live with a bent cap so the barrel will free float.  Now I have to decide which forward grip to get.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 1:56:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Now I have to decide which forward grip to get.  
View Quote
Deiter
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 8:13:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Looking down from the top ....

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/p28d3afea161bef26743b6727a5d42b82/fabd1e1a.jpg[/img]

.... and from the bottom:

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/p0d5e090fdf5b68ec63969642fe131536/fabd1e17.jpg[/img]

You should be able to see the thinner leading edge on the one side, and the slight bend in the handguard cap facing that edge.  

I filed the SIR edge with a hand file, then sprayed the exposed metal with a flat enamel paint, as recommended by ARMS when I discussed this with them via e-mail.

As I mentioned earlier, I also noticed that the lower edge of the removable handguard was also touching the cap, so I filed it too.

I filed on the crossbar at the handle, so that I could tighten it fully.  I used an aluminum marker pen to cover the exposed metal on that.

Chris
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top