Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/22/2003 9:55:54 PM EDT
How many of you use Trijicon front sites on your AR's? Do any of you use the Ashlet Big Dots for close up work?
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#1]
With the tritium front sights I've seen, you only have "glow" on 2 sides, which means your elevation adjustment is only half as precise.  It also means that someone on the other side of you can see your glow.  

With the Ashley's, there's a big dot on ONE SIDE only, and you get terrible elevation adjustment from it.

I prefer a non-magnified optic for nighttime shooting, as the "good ones" don't give away your position, and they don't take away from the adjustability of your irons.

I do have Ashley Standard dots on some of my pistols, and they're my favorite sight, but they're just not precise enough for rifle work, except at true pistol distances maybe.

Link Posted: 10/23/2003 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Ditto what Troy posted.  I have two Trijicon sight sets, and both came with a front sight tool that worked, so I didn't have to make any modifications.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I use Trijicon iron sites on all my rifles, even if they have a scope or not.  The GG&G BUIS will house the rear Trijicon just fine.  I keep them there for reserve.  If you ever need them you'll be glad they are there.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Since the post is actually 2 pieces, do you find that the top half will turn around on it's own after awhile?
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Are these available for AK's?

I was always skeptical of them, because of the elevation issues, but this thread seems to have remedied that.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are these available for AK's?

I was always skeptical of them, because of the elevation issues, but this thread seems to have remedied that.
View Quote

[url]www.riflestocks.com[/url] makes a front site drum adaptor that allows you to use AR15 front sites in it.I had one for a SAR-3.I think they're only $12
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 11:13:45 PM EDT
[#9]
First, I really like them, got them on BUIS's and non-optic rigs.

Second, I too had to make special adjustment tools.  I had a friend mill out two long thin cylinder tools to accomodate the front post.  I found the stock plunger pin held both parts.  This was for two used sets I bought.

Then I finally bought a NIB set.  I CAME with a proper sight adjustment tool that fit, and it also CAME with a new plunger pin with a longer pin to more securely hold the top part.  I never knew about either the OEM tool or plunger until then, but didn't really have to have them in the first place, but they were sure nice.

I also like night sights on my handguns, but where I am, I may experience many months of continual darkness, so they are quite necessary.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 2:20:39 AM EDT
[#10]
If you don't already have a front sight adjustment tool trijicon sells one for $8.00 that is made to work with their front sight.

[img]http://www.trijicon.com/parts/4094.jpg[/img]

I just ordered one along with a set of green front/yellow rear sights for my M4 carbine. I prefer the green/yellow setup on my defensive handguns for better sight contrast so I figured I'd try them on my carbine too. The yellow lamps have the same 12 year warranty as the green lamps.

Here is a grainy pic of the sights on my concealed carry gun, an HK USP45:

[img]http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/sights.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 10/24/2003 3:32:19 AM EDT
[#11]
On all of them and I highly recommend them for any serious AR. I've blackened the rear dots down to dim them a bit. As they come they're not as bright as the front but they're still awfully bright. I spent 6 hours one night walking through the woods (skip hunting) and once my eyes fully adjusted to the dark the rear inserts were VERY bright.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 3:59:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Tweak, Troy or someone else who might know: Is it a major procedure to mount a trijicon rear sight in an ARMS #40 BUIS? Is it any more complicated than mounting one on a standard A2 sight assembly? I'll be mounting either an Aimpoint or an ACOG shortly with a #40 backing it up.

I haven't ordered the scope and backup sight yet so I don't have it here to look at.

Thanks in advance [:)]
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:37:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Tweak, Troy or someone else who might know: Is it a major procedure to mount a trijicon rear sight in an ARMS #40 BUIS? Is it any more complicated than mounting one on a standard A2 sight assembly? I'll be mounting either an Aimpoint or an ACOG shortly with a #40 backing it up.

I haven't ordered the scope and backup sight yet so I don't have it here to look at.

View Quote

No, it is not a complicated procedure. If I can do it, you can too.

Just take it apart, slowly and lay the part's out in the order that they came off. Watch out for the small ball bearing.

Put it back together in reverse order.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:47:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

No, it is not a complicated procedure. If I can do it, you can too.

Just take it apart, slowly and lay the part's out in the order that they came off. Watch out for the small ball bearing.

Put it back together in reverse order.
View Quote

Thanks for the info [:)]
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:56:17 AM EDT
[#15]
No more complex than an A2. Remember, grease is your friend and thread the rear sight onto the screw once before installing it to check the fit. Sometimes the threads need to be chased.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:34:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No more complex than an A2. Remember, grease is your friend and thread the rear sight onto the screw once before installing it to check the fit. Sometimes the threads need to be chased.
View Quote

Excellent-the simpler the better [:)]

When you say "chased" does that mean clean up the threads?

Tweak, keep in mind that my VCR has flashed 12:00 for the past seven years. Thankfully my daughter is just about old enough to teach me how to program it [:D]
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 8:25:10 AM EDT
[#17]
[lolabove] Yeah, chased means cleaned up. If the threads are frigged then you can run a tap through the hole.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Also, thanks for posting about the AK adapter; I hadn't seen it.  However, you wouldn't want to use the Trijicon front sight with that adapter, since that setup doesn't have anything that will prevent the top half of the Trijicon front sight from rotating.  I'd use the Meprolight front sight instead, as it would be more compatible with that design.

-Troy
View Quote

What I did was grind the sites to make them a little rounder and used JB weld to hold both pieces from moving.It worked but was a little crude.Touched up with a marker and it was hard to tell.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the info Tweak [:)]

It's kind of sad that I can build, configure, and deploy a rack-mounted SMP webserver in my sleep but whenever I look at all the pretty springs, bolts, and pins in one of my firearms my eyes glaze over and I scratch my head in helpless wonder.

The thoughts going through my mind are probably pretty similiar to what my dog thinks about when he tries to figure out how to open a door without opposable thumbs...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top