Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2003 11:38:53 AM EDT
I'm in the final design stages of my fighting carbine.  It's going to be a flattop with irons.  There are a bunch of rear sights out there.  I'm looking for some feedback on the systems everyone's using. I prefer the USGI front sight tower.

I will not be using an optic right of the bat.  Funds are limited and I'd rather spend the $800 I'd need for a TA31 on practice ammo right now.  Optics will probably come later.

The rear sight needs to be rugged and hold a zero. This if for a fighting gun, not target shooting or gaming.  Fold-down is not necessary at this point.  Elevation adjustment is not crucial because I can get a 50 yard combat zero with the elevation of the front sight.

I like the simplicity of the new Cavalry arms rear.  I also like the LMT... it appears to be extremely rugged. (Does anyone have the link to the LMT rear sight?)  The DPMS and BM pieces seems like they might be a bit fragile.

Thoughts... comments... suggestions?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#1]
If I didn't have a Aimpoint I would go for the LMT it is very stout.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, you've said a fold-down isn't necessary right now.  However, you've also said that you'd like to add an optic in the future and that elevation adjustments aren't necessary.

I don't see why not just get a fold down right now?  All I have is irons at this time, and I use the ARMS #40A2 rear.  I have no gripes about it other than not being able to adjust elevation.  When I am ready to add an optic, I won't need to spend time/money researching and swapping out my rear sight again.  I haven't smacked mine around yet, but those who have say it's extremely durable.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#4]
LMT or cut carry handle would be the way to go if you [b]want[/b] the rear sight there all the time.  ARMS40 without a doubt if you dont.

I prefer to have the rear sight out of the way and have a wide open field of fiew.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are going to shoot with non-elevation adjustable rear sights using the 50yd zero, I would go with a same-plane aperture of some sort.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I initially had no intention on having an optic.  I just don't want to limit my options if I change my mind down the road.  Hence the flattop upper.  I can see myself buying a TA31 eventually, but it's not a priority at this point.  Having a dependable rear iron is my primary concern.  If I changed my mind later and went with an optic, I could always buy another BUIS.

The ARMS40 seem to enjoy quite a following.  I was concerned about it not being as durable as a fixed piece but after some searching, I was hard pressed to find anyone complaining about it.

Does the LMT thumbscrew get in the way of the charging handle release?  It looks like it might.

Thanks for all the replies
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 2:51:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd say go with the cut carry handle.  Pretty cheap if you cut it yourself, and the most rugged if you don't plan on a scope in the forseeable future.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#8]
The #40 is as rugged as they get and you can put any mil spec aperature in place of the std. ones that come with it. If you get a cut off carry handle and then latter get a scope, you will always have the rear sight in the way since it doesn't fold if it needs to be.
Good Shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 3:13:44 PM EDT
[#9]
The #40 is as rugged as they get and you can put any mil spec aperature in place of the std. ones that come with it. If you get a cut off carry handle and then latter get a scope, you will always have the rear sight in the way since it doesn't fold if it needs to be.
Good Shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#11]
That is a dif. type of sight for sure and looks rugged. I still like and recomend the #40 as it has dual aperatures, slim line away from knuckle banging via the charging handle. Only using one notch on the receiver, leaving more eye relief to the rear for mounting optics is another plus, others I have seen don't have those things, as yet.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Sinistral,
I've been considering that DPMS Mangonel myself as it seems very simple and I have yet to make use of the small aperture on my A2.  Any more thoughts on it?
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#14]
If you are going to use a scope, get the ARMS 40. Or if you want a fold down rear sight get an ARMS 40. I have one on my M4 clone behind an Aimpoint and it works great.

If you want a fixed sight, then there is no comparrison. The LMT is in my opinion the best rear sight there is. I just put one on my lightweight dissipator. What a sight!! I will eventually be putting an Aimpoint in front of this one too. (Or one of the mythical Tri-Powers)

You won't be disappointed with either. And the LMT is a great investment.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top