Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/21/2003 8:00:35 AM EDT
I have a Leupold 3.5-10 1" scope that I want to put on a flat top.  As is necessary for the 375 H&H rifles this scope was designed to handle, it has long eye relief.  In the past I tried to mount the scope with ARMS#22 rings directly on the rail.  That didn't work.  Then I tried the RRA one-piece mount.  That did not work either.  I don't think the Armalite mount is that much different from the RRA that it would make a difference.  I could probably change my shooting position but I really do not want to mess with that.

Right now I am looking at an ARMS#38 extended sleeve with medium height ARMS#22 rings and inserts.  That will solve the eye relief problem, but it will also set me back more than $300.

I could probably get some Weaver 1" high rings to save a little money, but I will still be into this mount over $200.

I'd still like to be able to mount a BUIS.

Is there a more reasonably priced alternative that is still pretty rugged?  Several companies make "scout" or "extension" rails - are any of them good quality?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I've run across several options while looking for myself...

The absolute least expensive option would be a Bushmaster/Yankee Hill  Rail Extension at $34.95 for the front ring, with a $14.95 Mini-Riser for the rear ring and rings of your choice.

Rock River Arms has a new "scout rail" for $65 that looks extremely solid, but it doesn't have provisions for BUIS.

Would you at all consider a free float tube with a top rail?  This is the way I've been leaning because it doesn't change the height of your rails, and leaves you free to use any BUIS you want.
I'm waiting for KKF to finish his Gen2 modular FFT's, but Fulton Armory has a new "Phantom II" FFT that is available already.  It's completely modular and you can add the rails as you need them, so you're not stuck with 4 full rails you don't need. That would run you around $80 for the tube, $20 for a top rail, and you could use that Rock River $40 mount to hold the scope.

Link Posted: 10/21/2003 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Take a looka the ARMS #35 with medium rings and 1" inserts.  It moves the scope far enough forward in most cases, and will run you about $160 or so.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, the #35 will do it as long as you get the high spacers..
Good shootin Jack
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I used the GG&G scout rail with medium Nightforce rings.  I wanted ample eyerelief and the scoop (Leupold 3.5-10x M3) as close to the barrel as possible.  The scout rail lets the eye piece sit below the top of the rail where the iron sight would be.  I now think that even shorter rings would have worked...
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 6:53:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Does the #35 work with a BUIS, such as the #40?

Will the GGG scout rail work with a #40?
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 6:51:38 AM EDT
[#6]
    I use an extended riser (1/2" high) made by Accuracy Speaks (available direct or from Brownell's) combined with standard-height rings.  There's now a similar one available from Compass Lake Engineering.  This gives me an extra 4" of rail and lets me mount a Leupold 6.5-20x50 LRT (a rather long scope with 4" eye relief) far enough forward to be comfortable in prone, and gives me the option for an extra 15' of built-in elevation for long range work. I'm using Wiegand Combat rings (available from Brownell's) - they were inexpensive and work well, even though they don't have the macho look many seem to like.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 7:13:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I am in the exact same delima myself. I am going to solve mine by using the GG&G Scout rail along with ARMS 22 LOW rings. If there isn't enough room on the back for the Knights 600M rear I plan to use as a BUIS then I will simply have my machinist shave a bit off of the back. This will get my Leupold out far enough. Hope this helps.

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I had the same problem so decided to design my own. My concept (top drawing) puts the scope at the same height as iron sights and 1/2" further forward than the Armalite. The long eye relief scope modeled in my concept is a Nightforce 5.5-22x56mm. I believe there is a great advantage to a one piece configuration. Mainly, the rings are in-line bored as a single piece of metal.
--RR
[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~the1_roadrunner/images/ScopeMount.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:31:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I like that GGG scout rail idea, but when you figure you get a free BUIS with the ARMS#38 there is no real price difference.

Too bad someone does not make a mount like the1_roadrunner suggests.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I like that GGG scout rail idea, but when you figure you get a free BUIS with the ARMS#38 there is no real price difference.

Too bad someone does not make a mount like the1_roadrunner suggests.
View Quote

I am making it. I didn't draw it up for nothing...lol. If anyone has an interest in one let me know. I'll probably make 5-10 prototypes and see how they come out. As I discussed in another thread. I'll bead blast them then black anodize which will result in the fine satin flat black finish. Studs and nuts will be steel with black oxide finish.
I'll be making the prototypes for a 30mm scope tube BTW. --RR
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 11:22:06 AM EDT
[#11]
One cheap fix is to lengthen the stock by installing the 1" extended butt plate sold by Bushmaster.  It costs about $30.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 12:18:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I am in the same boat, also.  Having a flat-top I would like to go from carry handle to 40mm obj. scope quickly and with repeated precision - no re-zeroing! How about attaching your Leupold to a quick disconnect ARMS #19 quick-throw weaver base with some good quality medium to high weaver rings?  This should allow for quick attach-detach of the scope-ring-base unit to your flattop.  This should then allow you to remount a carry-handle or other optics. Let me know if this combo would work?
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
One cheap fix is to lengthen the stock by installing the 1" extended butt plate sold by Bushmaster.  It costs about $30.
View Quote

...or the 1" stock extender (goes between the stock & the receiver) sold by DPMS...

...or both (in true ARFCOM fashion [:D])
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#14]
A FIRSH handguard, which will also free float the barrel, and a RRA one piece mount.  A lot less than $200 and all the eye relief you want.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 10:14:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A FIRSH handguard, which will also free float the barrel, and a RRA one piece mount.  A lot less than $200 and all the eye relief you want.
View Quote

Oh yeah! That's the configuration allright and it is the way my scoped rifle is setup. I use Leupold Mark 4 Super High rings.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top