Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/19/2003 12:55:55 PM EDT
My agency has bought EOTech 552 HOLOSights for our AR-15s.  We also have ITT 6015 night vision devices, which I plan to get a flat-top mount for.

The problem is that my agency requires us to be able to switch to iron sights if the optics crap out.  I have an ARMS 40 flip-up sight, but all three items won't fit on the flat-top.

I was thinking of using the ARMS 38 Swan Sleeve, but I read that the EOTech sits up too high, making co-witnessing impossible.  I had also thought about putting the EOTech and the 6015 on an ARMS 19a, but apparently the EOTech is too wide.

Has anybody here figured out a solution to this or a similar problem?  I'm looking at the ARMS 5 Multibase and was wondering if anyone  has tried it.  Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a free floated forearm with an integrated rail that extends from the receiver rail at the same height.

Check out [url=http://www.impactguns.com/store/kmc_ras_ff_carb.html] Knight [/url]  or  [url=http://www.gggaz.com/products/tmfff.php] GG&G [/url] for options...

Put the EOTech on the forearm rail forward of the receiver, your 6015 NVD on the front of the receiver and your #40 on the back of the receiver near the charge handle and your good to go day, night, &/or with crapped out optics.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I was considering that option, I'm just not looking forward to dropping $400.00 on a rail.  Also, I'm not certain that my rifle with one of those forearms would fit in my vehicles rifle rack.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#4]
What type of NVD mount are you going to use?
That will make a big difference- enough to have everything on your flat top.

Also- do you have a dedicated light on it?
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:47:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Nimrod, if you go with any of GG&G's buis's and there 6015 tall mount. Your 552 will work.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nimrod, if you go with any of GG&G's buis's and there 6015 tall mount. Your 552 will work.
View Quote

The sales rep from GG&G told me the same thing, and I have to say that I just don't believe it.  The EOTech 551 is certainly small enough to fit all three on a flat-top, but the 552 is just too long.  I'm looking at photos from their web site of their 6015 Tall Mount and MAD BUIS (mounted as far back on the rail as they can go), and there just is not enough room for the 552.

[img]http://www.gggaz.com/images/ITT_6015PVS14_Mount/APCantRing_W6015_ON_Rifle.jpg[/img]

The front of the Tall Mount is approximately 1/2" in front of where the back of my 552 is, and that is with the 522 mounted as far forward as it will go.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 7:40:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What type of NVD mount are you going to use?
That will make a big difference- enough to have everything on your flat top.

Also- do you have a dedicated light on it?
View Quote

I was looking at the GG&G Tall Mount, because it would allow me to keep the head mount attached to to the 6015.

Yes, I have a dedicated light.  It is a Surefire D3 Defender mounted on a Wilson Combat Tactical Light Mount.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't sell the sight yet check with the monolock people at Remington Night Vision

They make a mount that snaps onto the EO and takes no rail space.

Link Posted: 10/21/2003 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Nimrod- you can mount the EO-Tech so the battery part is above your handguard.
Test it for yourself and even move the Eotech back a few notches on the flat top rail. As long as there is some space between the NVD mount and the sight you are good to go.
Even better- go to this photo. The larger battery compartment will just be over the handguards more.

http://www.gggaz.com/products/eotech.php
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#11]
The SIR slim lines are the slimest hand guards and will fit the std. racks. I'd go with the #50 Bi-level slim line C model, you already have the rear sight. Id then get what the sop mod program bought which is the PRI NV monocular mount, and it is adjustable for ht. and not fragile like the one pictured with nothing to keep it from bending when hit clearing a room.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 7:42:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Don't sell the sight yet check with the monolock people at Remington Night Vision

They make a mount that snaps onto the EO and takes no rail space.

View Quote

Very interesting.  I will have to take a look at that.

Quoted:
Test it for yourself and even move the Eotech back a few notches on the flat top rail. As long as there is some space between the NVD mount and the sight you are good to go.
Even better- go to this photo. The larger battery compartment will just be over the handguards more.

[url]http://www.gggaz.com/products/eotech.php[/url]

View Quote

As you can see in that photo, the EOTech is able to clear the delta ring, but it runs into the handguards.  Also, the sight mounted on the rifle in the photo is the 551, which is much shorter because it uses the (very expensive) lithium batteries.  I have the 552, which uses standard AA batteries.  The photo on the side of the page shows the difference in length between the two.

My partner has the GG&G MAD BUIS and the EOTech 552 on his rifle; I think that I will measure the space between the two and see if I can get the specs on the 6015 Tall Mount from GG&G.

I appreciate all of the ideas guys.  Thanks to everybody for their help.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 5:37:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

SNIPPED

As you can see in that photo, the EOTech is able to clear the delta ring, but it runs into the handguards.  Also, the sight mounted on the rifle in the photo is the 551, which is much shorter because it uses the (very expensive) lithium batteries.  I have the 552, which uses standard AA batteries.  The photo on the side of the page shows the difference in length between the two.
View Quote

Nimrod- I do not think I was clear on this. I am quite aware of the differences in the sights. Put a 552 on your rail to check to see if it "runs into" or rests above the handguards.
IIRC- that is not the case with standard handguards but definatly is a problem with a M4 larger diameter handguards. As the 552 battery compartment is longer it needs to sit back further on the rail with the M4.

To be honest with you- We had issues with dedicated lights and sights taking up to much rail space. So,we have some of the exact setup as decribed by 3rdtk(s). The PRI mounts are much tougher but there is absolutly no way you can use it with a EO-tech 552 and a rear sight on a standard M4 flat top rail. Just not enough space. Hence the decision to do it this way.
Other rifles are set up to use the GG&G NVD rings.

And- AFAIK, the Monoloc is only designed for the Aimpoint or other tube sights. Round peg into round hole.

Edited to fix quote stuff
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

The 551 uses "N" batteries.  They are relatively expensive (still cheap as far as other things in life go, hence the "relatively") and unlike AA's you can't buy a lithium version, they only make Alkaline "N" batteries.  I wish they WOULD make lithium "N" batteries!  It would easily up the power on hours to about double what they are with the standard "N" batteries.

Infact, the lack of lithium "N" batteries is about the only thing that is keeping me focused on the 552 and lithium AA batteries.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 2:21:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nimrod- I do not think I was clear on this. I am quite aware of the differences in the sights. Put a 552 on your rail to check to see if it "runs into" or rests above the handguards.
IIRC- that is not the case with standard handguards but definatly is a problem with a M4 larger diameter handguards. As the 552 battery compartment is longer it needs to sit back further on the rail with the M4.

To be honest with you- We had issues with dedicated lights and sights taking up to much rail space. So,we have some of the exact setup as decribed by 3rdtk(s). The PRI mounts are much tougher but there is absolutly no way you can use it with a EO-tech 552 and a rear sight on a standard M4 flat top rail. Just not enough space. Hence the decision to do it this way.
Other rifles are set up to use the GG&G NVD rings.

And- AFAIK, the Monoloc is only designed for the Aimpoint or other tube sights. Round peg into round hole.

Edited to fix quote stuff
View Quote

I've got a 552 sitting on my rifle right now; it definitely runs into the handguards.  I was considering the idea of get a replacement set of handguards with a built-in rail.  I figure as long as the clamping point on the 552 is still on the rail, it would remain stable.

By the way they make an EOTech adapter for the Monoloc.  It looks pretty cool, but damned expensive (getting the SIR system would be cheaper.)

[url]http://www.monoloc.com/cart3.php?cat=&id=17[/url]

Quoted:
The 551 uses "N" batteries. They are relatively expensive (still cheap as far as other things in life go, hence the "relatively") and unlike AA's you can't buy a lithium version, they only make Alkaline "N" batteries. I wish they WOULD make lithium "N" batteries! It would easily up the power on hours to about double what they are with the standard "N" batteries.

In fact, the lack of lithium "N" batteries is about the only thing that is keeping me focused on the 552 and lithium AA batteries.
View Quote

My mistake on the batteries.  I figured that as expensive as they were, they had to be lithium.

I appreciate all of the ideas.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#16]
That Monoloc adapter is new on me! FWIW- I have them and would not recommend a Monoloc over a regular mount. Your mileage may vary.

Ok- now that it doesn't fit you have two options as I see it:
1)Buy a cheap set of those Fobus/First Samco handguards with the rail and try it out. As you say, with the sight clamped onto the flatop it won't matter if the handguards are loose.
2)Get a SIR or a RAS system.

This was some time ago, but I believe that when we tried using the 552 and the GG&G ring they did fit with a bit of tweaking BUT it was a major pain to get it to work and the NVD picture quality really suffered.
BTW- the M500 lights also will not work because of the same reason as before.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 6:34:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That Monoloc adapter is new on me! FWIW- I have them and would not recommend a Monoloc over a regular mount. Your mileage may vary.

Ok- now that it doesn't fit you have two options as I see it:
1)Buy a cheap set of those Fobus/First Samco handguards with the rail and try it out. As you say, with the sight clamped onto the flatop it won't matter if the handguards are loose.
2)Get a SIR or a RAS system.

This was some time ago, but I believe that when we tried using the 552 and the GG&G ring they did fit with a bit of tweaking BUT it was a major pain to get it to work and the NVD picture quality really suffered.
BTW- the M500 lights also will not work because of the same reason as before.
View Quote

Thanks for the info about the GG&G ring.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Glad to be of help.

You know what I really want? Probably you too...

A Surefire M500 mount made with the picitinny rail system or a relief on top for this type of situation. Surefire chose to go with the M$ diameter as their base.
I called and asked years ago but they said it just wasn't feasable for them due to market concerns.

BTW- I meant I have the Aimpoint type monoloc- avoid it for your use.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 6:22:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Glad to be of help.

You know what I really want? Probably you too...

A Surefire M500 mount made with the picitinny rail system or a relief on top for this type of situation. Surefire chose to go with the M$ diameter as their base.
I called and asked years ago but they said it just wasn't feasable for them due to market concerns.

BTW- I meant I have the Aimpoint type monoloc- avoid it for your use.
View Quote

I tell you, I'm very happy with my light setup.  I'm using a Wilson Combat Tactical Light Mount, which installs inside the the front sight and gives me mounting rails on both sides and the bottom.  My Surefire D3 Defender is mounted on the left rail on a 1" scope ring, which puts the activation button right next to  my left thumb.  It works well and didn't cost an arm and a leg.  I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#20]
BTW- is this going to be an assigned weapon or a pool weapon?
FWIW- the exposed wires suffer when part of a pool weapon.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Personally owned weapon.

What exposed wires?  The activation button is on the end cap.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 11:33:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Thinking of the touch pad...I read yours again and see you use the pushbutton.

Oh yeah- where are you mounting it in the car?
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thinking of the touch pad...I read yours again and see you use the pushbutton.

Oh yeah- where are you mounting it in the car?
View Quote

Floorboard of a Ford Expedition, on the tranny hump.  A friend of mine from the Border Patrol fashioned a mount out of angle iron that you could dock a ship to.  It uses the existing seat bolts.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top