Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/13/2003 8:55:21 AM EDT
I have 20/20 vision in both eyes.
Right eye is dominant but not by much.

When I aim CompM2 right-eyed I have double vision, both target pictures are identical.
The other way around, when I aim left-eyed
I see 2 target pictures, too.

2 things work for me:
-putting transparent tape or vaseline on the
glasses where non-aiming eye is.
-Flipping the front cover of CompM2 to the side to partially block non-aiming eye.
Both methods above are a little clumsy.

Can you suggest a better way to avoid
double vision?
Is there other reflex or holo sight that will work better for people like me?

Thank you in advance

Link Posted: 10/13/2003 9:00:42 AM EDT
[#1]
While I have never heard of an ambidexterous-eyed person, guess it's possible, suggest ya close your left eye when using the red-dot scope to elimnate your problems.

I'm assumming that this is happening only when your shooting w/ both eyes open.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Try it with the front lens cover closed...I have a buddy thats left eye dominate and shoots right handed,Works for him....UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 1:07:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have Duane's Syndrome (see here for an explanation http://www.strabismus.org/Duane_Syndrome.html ) or some other type of problem with your ocular muscles?  I have Duane's type I and I need to keep my  head somewhat square to the target to avoid getting double vision.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Your focusing on the target and not the reticle right?  You will always see doubel if you dont focus on the target.  There is no difference in looking with or without the Aimpoint.  You just look at the target and put the dot on the target.  The dot will be slightly blurry.  Dont look at the dot.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks a lot gentlemen, I really appreciate the wilingness to help.

Yes, I'm shooting with both eyes open, closing
second eye works just fine.
Closing front cover also works, it's a pretty good compromize actually.
No, I don't have Duane's syndrome, I tried with my head square to the target, doesn't seem to
be any different.
Yes, I'm focusing on the target only, never on the sight. Were I to shift my focus to the red dot, I would see irregularly shaped red blot about 30 MOA in size intead of a 4 MOA dot.

Actually, my vision in both eyes is excellent,
in a group of shooters approaching to check targets on the range I'm usually the first one to see bullet holes in the white from the distance.

I guess I'm in some minority wired differently,
my hands are also ambidextrous, I use tools better with my left hand, I write and use utensils with my right hand. I shoot AK on the left and FAL on the right.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Hm, maybe a pirate eye patch?  Arggg! [:)]
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad i can help, You'll find that keeping the cover closed on a bright day help with "dot wash" as well..........UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Try partially closing your left eye (just a bit).  You will still have partial left-side vision and keep depth perception, but the double images (should) dissappear.  This works for me with irons and dots and doesn't require any special equipment or preparation.

Good luck
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe you should mount 2 Aimpoints.. 1 for each eye. [:D]
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 10:55:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Im still lost.  How can you see double through the Aimpoint but not when you just look at something?  I mean what is the difference?  If the AImpoint is off and you have both eyes open do you see double or just if its turned on?  This is the craziest thing I have ever heard of and I am quite intrigued.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 5:15:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks DevL, here's my theory.

Quoted:
How can you see double through the Aimpoint but not when you just look at something?  I mean what is the difference?

The difference IMO is that Aimpoint does not provide 100% light transmission, some light is lost in glass coatings etc. Aiming eye that's looking thru the sight sees the target picture
not as clearly as non-aiming eye. This difference is enough for the brain to start
considering second clearer target image from non-aiming eye.

If the AImpoint is off and you have both eyes open do you see double or just if its turned on?
I still see 2 images when the Aimpoint is off.

This is the craziest thing I have ever heard of and I am quite intrigued.
View Quote

Maybe, IMHO again, for most of the people one eye is mush "lazier" than the other and the "lazy" one will not pick the image up even if it sees it more clearly.
I guess for a small number of people if the dominant eye vision is somewhat obscured by lens coatings or aperture sights or sight housing the non-dominant eye will start playing an unwanted role.

It's not the end of the world, there are 4-5 known things I can do, thanks to all posters
for mentioning them.

Some very succesful shooters have peculiarities in vision. Brian Enos is left-eyed but uses his right eye because it focuses better. He has double vision.
David Tubb is right-eyed and that's what he uses, he still obscures his left eye with tape on the glasses to avoid double vision.

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 5:17:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Sorry DevL, some of my sentences got inserted into your quote, I apologize.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top