Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2003 3:52:29 AM EDT
At risk of offending the #40 followers, I noticed something I don't like about it.  After I let it flip up, I notice that it will move more if I push it farther with my finger.  Does this happen to other users?  Also, sometimes the windage dial moves some when I flip the aperatures.  I still like the #40, but my GG&G units stop positively, in the same place with no play, and no problems with the windage dial.

Does lubing the crap out of it, or using it a lot rid the extra movement?  Does it even affect the line of sight (have not shot with them yet)?  I like the spring flip feature, but not if it doesn't index consistantly or change after it get's touched...
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:41:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine has a little side to side wiggle too Mike. Not much, but enough to give me pause to ask the same question as you.  Fore and aft wiggle don't bother me.  Anybody?
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:47:05 AM EDT
[#2]
checking.........

checking.........

No, none at all.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I have never seen an ARMS 40 that didnt wiggle fore/aft.  Never seen one wiggle side to side either.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I don't think my #40's wiggle much at all side to side, so that's good.

My big concern is, does anyone know if the fore and aft wiggle affects the point of impact to any serious degree?  I ask because I am too lazy and don't have time right now to fool around and find out myself.

I'm hoping that over time it will "break in" and loose some of the fore/aft wiggle.  It seems to pop up in about the same position, just got to remember not to bump it or my sights may be off.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#5]
hmmmm...I have two of them and neither one of them do what you describe.  I'll check them again when I get home from work to see if I just hadn't noticed or something.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#6]
It bothered me at first too, so I did an experiment using a #38 Swan Sleeve.

Two groups at 50 yards, one holding the sight all the way forward against the stop with my finger, the other just letting it wobble.  No difference in POI.  Of course, using the large aperture made the groups nothing to write home about and I did not bother to repeat it with the small one.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#7]
There is no shot to shot variance (comes back to same spot after each recoil) which means its such a little difference it wont matter under the conditions this sight would be used under.  I mean this IS a back up right?  The fore/aft is at the top of its range of motion.  The big deal would be how much it moves up and down as you wiggle it and I have not noticed it move very much at the apex its mostly forward and back since its at the apex.  I dont shoot any better with regular iron sights either so I am not worried.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 1:15:51 AM EDT
[#8]
That makes me feel better, I did not even think about recoil setting it.  BTW, I have two or three #40's and they all have this play in them.  If some do not, perhaps it is mfg tolerance.  At any rate, they should all reset under recoil.  And they ARE backups anyways.  If I wanted to go iron sights, I would slap the carry handle back on.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 5:51:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Also, sometimes the windage dial moves some when I flip the aperatures.
View Quote

Two of mine do that and it bugs the living crap out of me.  I think they'd need to be "broken in" or worked loose, and I really don't ever change the aperature.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 6:34:41 AM EDT
[#10]
All the #40's I have ever used all have the same thing for a good reason as explained by ARMS. They repeat zero because of a thing they call a crusher plate that allows the sight to be cussioned when flipped up. Oposed to hard surfaces banging on and eventualy wearing out, hence the continued long life and ruggedness of the sight we all know about. What you feel when pushing with the hand is the cushion that protects the sight from banging metal on metal, and if it wasn't there, it could mushroom the metal.
It's a live sight that is timed with the known trength of the flip up spring to give the repeatability. Since you don't push the sight forward with a hand when firing, your accuracy assured for many years like I have experienced. The M16A2 also has the spring type effect, but it turns the sight to the left, but doesn't effect the accuracy.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 1:38:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh my GAWD!  I didn't think I would ever say this, but THANKS 3rdtk! [;)] Very informative (as always), and comforting to know.  ARMS designers sure know their $hit.

To those that reported no play, now you may be concerned cause it was designed that way for a reason...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top