Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2003 7:45:57 PM EDT
Are theese scopes as godly as their claimed to be in their Shot Gun News add?I've never had a scope before and when i do get one i want it to woth the $.Anybody ever try one?
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I have heard not so good things about them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Terrible scopes. No better than Springfield's offerings.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 5:40:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with the above two posts. I've had a Shepherd atop my SR-25 for about four years and have found it dead reliable and perfectly suited to a semi-auto weapon. If you have to rapidly engage multiple targets at multiple distances nothing else, with the possible exception of the re-reticled Schmidt & Benders, come close.

The horizontal and verticle minute scales in the Shepherd completely outclass any silly mil-dots for range finding. Not only are they easier to read but, a normal human being can easily do the required math in his head.

It is NOT an X-ring scope. The cross hairs are too thick for that. It is meant to put a hole somewhere in the A-Zone RIGHT NOW.

Where most guys run into problems with the Shepherd is not reading the instructions. Once you come to grip with the fact that there are two reticles in two different focal planes, the scope is very easy to get along with.

Caution: Make sure that the flight path of the bullet leaving YOUR rifle in fact duplicates the BDC reticle of the Shepherd. I strongly recommend the Pejsa ballistic program for this determination. In my case, a 175 gr. Sierra HPBT parting company with the muzzle at 2,600 fps will track that reticle like it was wire-guided.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:12:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Are theese scopes as godly as their claimed to be in their Shot Gun News add?I've never had a scope before and when i do get one i want it to woth the $.Anybody ever try one?
View Quote

I'm w/ Robar, and will say that they work about well as you type and spell.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:44:06 AM EDT
[#5]
So WTF are you saying?I spell good,he says they suck!
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 8:25:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

My friend has one on his 375 H&H magnum and it holds it's zero perfectly.  If it can take the abuse from THAT rifle it can handle any abuse from an AR15.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks p.guy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had one on my .308 700 PSS for about five years now, with zero problems.  I like it alot.  The one shot zero works for me, I like that the ranging rings diminish in size when the power is reduced.  Over all I am very pleased.  I have used it to make many multiple one shot kills on whitetails at varying distances.  I've never had it lose zero.  I use mine with an anti-cant device.  The optics are not as bright as some others, and I wish it had a slightly larger objective for better light gathering.  I'd also like to see them make a lighted reticle.  But for the money I think its a good scope.......  Although if you have the money, I'd look into a [url=www.nightforceoptics.com]NightForce[/url].  I want one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I personally witnessed a 1.67" 3 shot group at 500 yards shot by one of my department snipers using a Steyr SSG .308 rifle, Shepherd scope, and Federal match ammo.
Helluva scope.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top