Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2003 9:46:01 AM EDT
okay, before i get flamed for not knowing my gear, let me just say that i've never held, used, or seen in person any model elcan. i was just wondering where all the negative sentiment comes from.. from what i've read, they look at least somewhat comparable to the NSN, though maybe a bit bulky. any thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 11:19:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Well....
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=9101[/img]

Where do you want me to start.

As SR mentioned the glass is outstanding.

But they have numerous disadvantages - they are awkward to use for two eye open shooting (I can do it) - but many shooters I have had experience with in the CF cannot.

The mount is an abortion - it is to fragile and subject to dirt and grit.  The system mounts fairly high because the ballistic cam/range dial on the sight is hinged at the front, where it is windage adjustable in 1 MOA increments.  The rear elevation dial is also adjustable in 1 MOA clicks.  This rotating hinge gives two points of contact with the second (the range dial) being the weak link.  Any rearward impact is transferred right onto the range dial, leaving the scope flopping up and down, only connected by the windage pin.  The fourth generation modifications to the mount have eliminate some of the problem of zero loss and other mount-related problems.  Even so, I personally feel that the mount is too subject to impacts and not strong enough for the role it is intended.

Unlike the BAC ACOG's the reticle is not fully lit - the tritium is only visible at night - so the black triangle is not as big an asset for CQB aiming as could be possible.

In a nut shell I dont like them - they fail me too often.

The CF bought a bunch of EOTech 552's for serving in ISAF - if that tells you anything, and many troops have gone out and spent their own money to buy ACOG's...

Link Posted: 9/12/2003 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#3]
You mean beside's being Canadian?......J/King[peep][flame][lol]
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 9:20:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had one for about 4 years now. I've never had a hiccup with it. I've been through numerous tactical schools, and have seen every kind of optical sight fail. Not once have I seen an ELCAN go down. For the casual shooter that wants a good, robust, low magnification sight, I think it's a good choice.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 12:37:10 AM EDT
[#5]
For some reason I believe the guy that had one issued to him.......
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top