Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/11/2003 10:22:46 AM EDT
So I got my new aimpoint on my 20" bushmaster.

It was almost dead-on out of the box with the ARMS mount and cantilever spacer on the flatop.

I also purchased the spring-loaded ARMS #40 backup rear.

This is a dumb question, but what IS the sight picture supposed to look like out of the peeps?  I am doing everything by the book, i.e. 25 Meters, Bushmaster sight-in target, etc.

Having trouble with the elevation of the groups, have it pretty close, but want to be dead-on.

Does anyone have a sight picture or rendition of what to look at out of the peeps on the Bushmaster sight-in target for the battle-zero?

(Have not used peeps much in the past)
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 10:33:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Most guys will recomend that you put your nose to the charging handle, and then pull it back about 1/4 inch.  That should give you a good sight picture.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

This is a dumb question, but what IS the sight picture supposed to look like out of the peeps?  

------------
Having trouble with the elevation of the groups, have it pretty close, but want to be dead-on.

Does anyone have a sight picture or rendition of what to look at out of the peeps on the Bushmaster sight-in target for the battle-zero?

(Have not used peeps much in the past)
View Quote

Basically, you center the tip of the front sight post in the rear aperture.  You can then place this sight picture on the target in a number of ways - bottom of bullseye, or "six o'clock hold" may be the most repeatable.

Remember, the apertures of the #40 are on different planes, so your point of impact will shift when you switch.

I recommend sighting in at 50 yards using the large aperture and not worrying about it anymore.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 6:38:20 PM EDT
[#3]
The large aperture can be difficult to sight in if you are not experienced with irons.  I'd use the little apreture to start with.

With the zero at 25 meters, your trajectory will not be very flat.  You can not adjust the sight downwards like with an A2.  Either zero at 50 yards as bsbg suggests, or try and get 1.3 inches low at 25.

I can't remember what that Bushmaster target looks like.  I like to shoot at a one inch black square.  Have the tip of the front sight post touching the bottom of the square.  Center the tip of the front sight post in the middle of the aperture.  You are trying to get your bullets to hit the bottom of the square at 50 yards, or 1.3 inches low at 25 yards.

You can also zero the irons without firing.  Turn the Aimpoint on, and then move the irons around until the tip of the sight post is touching the dot.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top