Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/9/2003 9:55:56 PM EDT

I'm in the process of building a flat top ar and plan to add optics in the very distant future as funds become available.  Anyone have any opinions on what the best rear sight would be in the mean time?  I'm looking at:

1.Getting a carry handle and chopping it down once I get optics for a backup rear sight, although am not sure how stable this would be.

2. Buying an ARMS #40, however I'm not sure how durable this sight is and if it would work well/hold up well as a dedicated rear sight for and extended time.(as long as a year...does it hold a zero well?)

3.  Buying the "Bushmaster Modular Accessories System AR Flat Top Rear Sight", however I have no experience with this sight and have not read a bad or good thing about it anywhere.

Any options I missed or any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 11:35:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Go with the ARMS #40. It's durable enough to last as long as you need it to, and will fold down out of the way, once you get your optic.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 11:54:11 PM EDT
[#2]
ARMS 40 is so far and above the BM sight they arent even in the same league.

Cut a carry handle if you plan on using a dot type optic, but it will prevent you from using magnified optics like the ACOG in the future, and you'll end up buying a flip up BUIS anyway if you go that route.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 12:37:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Agreed, the Bushy BUIS is not worthy to be in the same room as the ARMS #40.  I would get the #40, but if you are hardcore, and want to go the chopped C/H route, you might want to consider the LMT sight.
[IMG]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=7713[/IMG]
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 2:45:59 PM EDT
[#4]
My $.02-

ARMS#40 definately best bet.

Nice new pic lumpy!
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Arms #40 is what I would have if I didnt have a KAC 300m.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually, I also have an LMT, which is one HELL of a good sight.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=16472[/img]
(Not as good a pic as AK_Mike's, but at least I got it's good side...[BD])Anyway, the reason I recommended the ARMS #40 is for the same reason Lumpy stated.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:23:33 PM EDT
[#7]
ARMS #40A2 for the full peep apeture sight.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, I'm feeling really dumb here but what does LMT stand for?  I'm trying to find a place to purchase or at least price such a sight.

Thanks for all the great suggestions and advice, being relatively new to both the internet and the AR's, I really appreciate all the informed opinions everyone shares.

thanks again.

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 10:05:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Im pretty sure it means Lewis Machine and Tool. And Im also pretty sure Wes and Paul at [url=www.mstn.biz]MSTN[/url] are about the only place to get it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top